Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Shinygaia

Default How come Excel can't calculate any =SIN(x) or =COS(y) correctly?

Hi,

I work with Excel on this math report and the formula I typed in just kept
not working properly. The results were all off. So I checked everything very
carefully and found out why it didn't work. In need to calculate sin and cos
so I typed =SIN(45) in one cell and =COS(45) in another cell just to check if
it works and ... Surprise! I ended up with two different results instead of
0,707 for both!!! I tried with =SIN(0), =SIN(180) and =SIN(360) and again ...
wrong (supposed to be "0" for all of them). If someone knows a way to fix
that, it would be of great help!

By the way, Happy Valentine Day!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Excel uses radians--not degrees:

=SIN(RADIANS(45))
or
=SIN(45*PI()/180)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Niek Otten

In Excel, angles should be expressed in Radians, not degrees

=SIN(RADIANS(45))-COS(RADIANS(45)) returns (almost) zero

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"Shinygaia" wrote in message

I work with Excel on this math report and the formula I typed in just kept
not working properly. The results were all off. So I checked everything
very
carefully and found out why it didn't work. In need to calculate sin and
cos
so I typed =SIN(45) in one cell and =COS(45) in another cell just to check
if
it works and ... Surprise! I ended up with two different results instead
of
0,707 for both!!! I tried with =SIN(0), =SIN(180) and =SIN(360) and again
wrong (supposed to be "0" for all of them). If someone knows a way to fix
that, it would be of great help!

By the way, Happy Valentine Day!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Niek Otten

BTW,

One simple check in HELP would have told you

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"Shinygaia" wrote in message

I work with Excel on this math report and the formula I typed in just
kept
not working properly. The results were all off. So I checked everything
very
carefully and found out why it didn't work. In need to calculate sin and
cos
so I typed =SIN(45) in one cell and =COS(45) in another cell just to
check if
it works and ... Surprise! I ended up with two different results instead
of
0,707 for both!!! I tried with =SIN(0), =SIN(180) and =SIN(360) and again
wrong (supposed to be "0" for all of them). If someone knows a way to fix
that, it would be of great help!

By the way, Happy Valentine Day!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Shinygaia

*Knocks her head on the table*

I COMPLETLY forgot about radian and worst of all I knew it!!! *sigh* So much
time wasted on something as easy as that... what a shame!!! lol

Thanks to all of you guys!

"Shinygaia" wrote:

Hi,

I work with Excel on this math report and the formula I typed in just kept
not working properly. The results were all off. So I checked everything very
carefully and found out why it didn't work. In need to calculate sin and cos
so I typed =SIN(45) in one cell and =COS(45) in another cell just to check if
it works and ... Surprise! I ended up with two different results instead of
0,707 for both!!! I tried with =SIN(0), =SIN(180) and =SIN(360) and again ...
wrong (supposed to be "0" for all of them). If someone knows a way to fix
that, it would be of great help!

By the way, Happy Valentine Day!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Niek Otten