Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Boon8888

Default linked values in other sheets

Hi, basically I have one sheet in my workbook, that contains summary
information and is called 'Summary'. It has one dropdownlist in it. I
would like it to be set up so that if I change the value in my
dropdownlist in my Summary worksheet, that the dropdownlists in my
other sheets also change to this value. But at the same time, the
other dropdownlists should be able to take on a value of their own, and
only change to the value contained in the Summary sheet if it is
changed.

I hope this makes sense.

I have tried just having the formula in my other dropdownlists:

=Summary!E1

where E1 is the cell containing the dropdownlist

This works, but as soon as I change the value in those dropdownlists
independently to something else, that formula is lost.

Any ideas, suggestions or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Joel

--
Boon8888
Boon8888's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30647

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Rech

You have to assign a macro to the Summary dropdown. Something like this:

Sub DropDown1_Change()
Dim NewVal As Integer
NewVal = Worksheets("Summary").Range("A1").Value
Worksheets("Sub1").Range("A1").Value = NewVal
Worksheets("Sub2").Range("A1").Value = NewVal
''Etc.

Jim
"Boon8888" wrote in
message ...

| Hi, basically I have one sheet in my workbook, that contains summary
| information and is called 'Summary'. It has one dropdownlist in it. I
| would like it to be set up so that if I change the value in my
| dropdownlist in my Summary worksheet, that the dropdownlists in my
| other sheets also change to this value. But at the same time, the
| other dropdownlists should be able to take on a value of their own, and
| only change to the value contained in the Summary sheet if it is
| changed.
|
| I hope this makes sense.
|
| I have tried just having the formula in my other dropdownlists:
|
| =Summary!E1
|
| where E1 is the cell containing the dropdownlist
|
| This works, but as soon as I change the value in those dropdownlists
| independently to something else, that formula is lost.
|
| Any ideas, suggestions or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks,
|
| Joel
|

| --
| Boon8888
| Boon8888's Profile:
| View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=511840

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Boon8888

Ok great!, ya, I figured a macro was probably necessary. And thanks for
the example. My only question now is how to assign this created macro
to the dropdownlist?

Thanks,

Joel

--
Boon8888
Boon8888's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30647
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=511840

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Rech

How you assign macro depends on the kind of drop down you have. If it's
from the Forms toolbar then right-click it and pick Assign Macro.

If it's from the Control Toolbox then double-click it to jump to the click
event handler code. You can paste the code in there. The double-clicking
will only work if you're in "design mode". If you're not, click the first
button on the Control Toolbox to go into design mode.

--
Jim
"Boon8888" wrote in