Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ConfusedNHouston

Default Copy Text to Right of Hyphen

I am importing data from a database that describes hundreds of products that
we sell. Each product code has a suffix to indicate the container-type that
it's sold in. The format for these data is "ABC1234-55" wherein the -55
indicates a 55 gallon drum. These suffixes vary from 2 digits to 7 digits in
lenght; which means I cannot readily use the =RIGHT(cell, 2).

Is there some version of the RIGHT command or some other means by which I
can copy the contents of the cell that are to the right of the hyphen? For
instance; Column A would have ABC12345-55 in (A1) and XYZ4444-999OW in (A2).
I'd like to write a function that would paste 55 in (B1) and 999OW in (B2).

Thanks..
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
PCLIVE

One way:

=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND("-",A1))

HTH,
Paul

"ConfusedNHouston" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bill Martin

Try:

[B1] = RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND("-",A1))

Bill
----------------
ConfusedNHouston wrote:
I am importing data from a database that describes hundreds of products that
we sell. Each product code has a suffix to indicate the container-type that
it's sold in. The format for these data is "ABC1234-55" wherein the -55
indicates a 55 gallon drum. These suffixes vary from 2 digits to 7 digits in
lenght; which means I cannot readily use the =RIGHT(cell, 2).

Is there some version of the RIGHT command or some other means by which I
can copy the contents of the cell that are to the right of the hyphen? For
instance; Column A would have ABC12345-55 in (A1) and XYZ4444-999OW in (A2).
I'd like to write a function that would paste 55 in (B1) and 999OW in (B2).

Thanks..

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could also use the Text to Columns function in the Data menu. You can
specify it to split either in a standard spot or at a character (like a
hyphen). I use this for pretty much the exact same thing you are doing and it
works great.

There's a good tutorial if you need more help.
--
Greg