Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bill R

Default copying part of a number string

I'm trying to manipulate a large number of dates for sorting. I only need
the year, but the data base has MMDDYYYY in it. I want to end up with YYYY
only for a new sort.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Chip Pearson

If the dates are actual Excel dates, just formatted as MMDDYYYY,
use the YEAR function to get the year. E.g,

=YEAR(A1)

If the dates are not actual Excel dates, use the RIGHT function
to get the last for characters. E.g.,

=RIGHT(A1,4)

--
Cordially,