Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
lueker_10

Default Linking data to a single cell for calculations

I am trying to create a sheet for calculating head loss in pumps for hydronic
piping. I have three columns on a "data" sheet which contains a fitting
(i.e. 1" 90° Elbow) then two other columns next to it with data for that
fitting, such as a "K-value" and "Equivalent Length of straight pipe". These
two other columns are numbers which the socond of the two will be used for a
calculation on another sheet where I will be calculating pressure drop for a
system. I want to be able to just copy the fitting and paste it into the
second sheet and have K-value and Eq. Length come with it. I have read a lot
of posts and help topics and none of them that I can see have two values
hidden comming into the sheet as well. The reason I want to only have to
copy the fitting and not the other two columns is for space purposes.
AutoCAD will be loaded and on the screen at the same time so I am trying to
save space on the screen... with a table of a bunch of fittings, and then
the list of pressure drop calcs on one sheet. Is there an easy way to do
this? I have been working on this for about 5 hours now, and I can't see an
economical way to link/hide this informationa and then display it in the list
of pressure drops. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
David Lueker, Mechanical Engineering Intern
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ken Johnson

Hi lueker,
I would use VLOOKUP to refer to those Values in the data sheet.
I know this is not the same as your calculation, one reason being you
stated you would only be using the second of the two values (Equivalent
length of straight pipe). Also, I know precious little about hydronic
piping. Anyhow, say the calculation is Pressure drop = K-value *
Equivalent length of straight pipe. Also, say you data on the data
sheet occupies range A1:C50, with "Fitting" in Column A, "K-Value" in
Column B and "Equivalent length" in Column C. Also, say on the calc
sheet (Assuming "calc" is the sheet name) cell A1 is the destination
cell for the fitting value (eg 1" 90° Elbow), either by keyboard
input, copy/paste or validation list, and that the formula is in B1.
Then, using my silly formula as example, the formula in B1 would be
=VLOOKUP(Calc!A1,Data!A2:C50,2,FALSE)*VLOOKUP(Calc !A1,Data!A2:C50,3,FALSE)

Ken Johnson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ken Johnson

Hi lueker,
Another solution would be to hide columns B and C on the Calc sheet,
copy the three cells from the data sheet then paste into A1. Then your
formula can refer to the values pasted into the hidden columns.

Ken Johnson