Kmeredith

Default linking to cell data

I'm trying to write a macro or something that will be able to link to a
cell's data even if it moves. For example, if i have data in A2: "Office1"
and i want cell E3 to link to that data. Now, if the original data in A2
moves, i want the link to follow where it moves to. If i moved the linked
cell, E3 i want the link to stay at the original A2, or where it moves to.
does this make sense?

Thanks!
Jim Sweet

Sounds like a perfect example of the need for a named range. Place your cell
pointer on the cell you wish to follow(a2 in yr example) as it moves and
choose Insert, Name, Define and key a descriptive name for the cell. The
formula pointing to it should now also display the range name instead of the
previous cell address. As long as this name isn't deleted, the formula should
keep track of it no matter where it gets moved in the workbook.

Hope this helps and good luck!!

"Kmeredith" wrote:

I'm trying to write a macro or something that will be able to link to a
cell's data even if it moves. For example, if i have data in A2: "Office1"
and i want cell E3 to link to that data. Now, if the original data in A2
moves, i want the link to follow where it moves to. If i moved the linked
cell, E3 i want the link to stay at the original A2, or where it moves to.
does this make sense?

Thanks!

Kmeredith

Thanks Jim for your response. I was wondering though if you could give me an
example on what you're talking about. I'm familliar with some of what your
saying but not all of it. thanks!