Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
artglassbob

Default how to change cell linkage

I have an excel workbook which I have been routinely updating for several
years. My problem is that one of the columns contains email addresses which
when one is selected it activites Outlook Express. That is OK, but my
problem is that after I have updated a particular email address, the earlier
email address value is apparently retained somewhere in the workbook as the
earlier value is the one inserted into a Outlook Express email message. How
do I clear the previous value and force Excel to use the current email
address?

BTW, when I hover my cursor over a cell which has been updated, the previous
email address appears in a balloon "mailto:(previous address) - Click once
to follow. Click and hold to select this cell."
--
Bob Mc
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Select the offending cell and
Insert|hyperlink
and type the correct email address.

Personally, I like to put the email address in one column and use a helper
column to provide the link:

=hyperlink(a1,"Click me")
or
=hyperlink("mailto:" & a1, "click me")

==
If you want to use this technique, then you'll want to destroy the existing
Insert|hyperlink versions.

Select the range to clean up
hit alt-f11 (to get to the VBE)
hit ctrl-g (to see the immediate window)
type this and hit enter:

selection.hyperlinks.delete

artglassbob wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
artglassbob

Dave, you are a life saver. I spent hours trying to figure out how to clear
the cells of the old hyperlinks. You solved that problem and suggested a
much better way to link the email addresses to Outlook Express. My heartfelt
thanks. Bob

Now I have another need which I will ask you about. Is there a way to have
the email addresses in an Excel workbook, a Word table, and Outlook Express
address book be linked together so that when one changes they all change?

I realize this is a new subject and maybe I should submit it as such.

--
Bob Mc