Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave

Default Can't "Save As" on Network

Hello,

I hope this is an appropriate group to post this problem.

I have 2 computers networked to each other, one running WindowsXP & MS
Office2003, the other Windows98 & MS Office97. Running Excel from
either computer, I can open, save and create files in shared folders on
the other computer. The problem is with the "Save As" command from
the WindowsXP machine - I always get the message "The folder
'\\servername\sharedfolder\newfilename.xls' isn't accessible.
The folder may be in an unavailable location, protected with a
password, or the filename contains a / or \ ." (I get the same
message with MS Word). This problem first appeared after the WindowsXP
computer was updated to MS Office2003 - the Windows98 machine does
not exhibit this problem. To date, I haven't found a solution at the
Microsoft site. I'm sure I'm missing something here, I'd
appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Regards,

DaveU

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

First, this is a guess.

But if you're positive you've typed the correct path, then it sounds more like a
network problem than excel.

One tip, you may want to put:

\\servername

in the File|saveAs dialog

Then point and click through the folders. (My typing is pertty <bg bad,
too???)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave

Dave,

Thanks for your suggestion, but that doesn't appear to be the problem.
If I do a file|SaveAs and keep the original file name, it works
normally. I'm getting the impression, from the error message, that
when I change the name, it seems to think that the file name is part of
the path.

regards,

DaveU

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave

Hi Dave,

Just in case you're interested, it turned out to be an issue with one
of WindowsXP security updates. Since I installed the fix, my problem
seems to be resolved.

regards,

DaveU

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Thanks for posting back.

Maybe it'll help someone searching Google.

Dave wrote:

Hi Dave,

Just in case you're interested, it turned out to be an issue with one
of WindowsXP security updates. Since I installed the fix, my problem
seems to be resolved.

regards,

DaveU

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Paul

Dave-

I seem to be having the same probelms. Can you post some more details on how
you resolved the problem?

Thanks!
--
Paul