Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
nparrott

Default Need help writing formula plz..

Here is my scenario...

Say I have 5 columns of data and it goes down for 29 cells for the day in
the month of february. Each day I am adding data to the next cell down.
What I am wanting to do is have it automatically update the total at the
bottom of the column when the data is entered. My problem is I dont want to
add all 29 cells at the same time. Only for the cells when they are being
updated.. If anyone has any sugestions or advice I would greatly appreciate
it! Thanks in advance!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
nparrott

For each day that I add data I want it to automatically update the total at
the bottom. I know I can use AutoSum, but the catch is I only want it to
update down to the current date. This is causing a problem in the cell that
had all 29 days in it...

"nparrott" wrote in message
Here is my scenario...

Say I have 5 columns of data and it goes down for 29 cells for the day in
the month of february. Each day I am adding data to the next cell down.
What I am wanting to do is have it automatically update the total at the
bottom of the column when the data is entered. My problem is I dont want
add all 29 cells at the same time. Only for the cells when they are being
updated.. If anyone has any sugestions or advice I would greatly
appreciate
it! Thanks in advance!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Tarburton

You can use the offset function to define the range you want to sum, in the
form of
=SUM(OFFSET(your_range_defined))
you can find and explanation of how to use offset here
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/...umnChart1.html
Sorry I'm short of time right now.
If you need help with the offset function, post a new request and I'm sure
someone will help you quickly. If you reply to this post I might be the only
one who looks at it.
HTH
Bob

"nparrott" wrote in message
Here is my scenario...

Say I have 5 columns of data and it goes down for 29 cells for the day
in
the month of february. Each day I am adding data to the next cell
down.
What I am wanting to do is have it automatically update the total at
the
bottom of the column when the data is entered. My problem is I dont
want
add all 29 cells at the same time. Only for the cells when they are
being
updated.. If anyone has any sugestions or advice I would greatly
appreciate
it! Thanks in advance!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
nparrott

Bob,
Thanks for the response but its not what I am looking for unfortunately...
Here is a new breakdown, maybe this will help you...

Thanks
NP

Here is my scenario...

I have a spreadsheet that I am tracking data in monthly, for each month I am
comparing the data to the previous years data for the same timeframe. For
example for the month of February I have Feb 1 - Feb 29 down in one column
expanding down 29 rows (obviously). Heres the catch, obviously the data from
the previous year is already filled in for all 29 days in February and they
all AutoSum at the bottom of the column giving me the total of the data for
the month of February. I am inputing new data everyday for the current month
of February for this year, which I am also having autosum at the bottom of
the column. The problem comes in when I am wanting to just compare the data
"to date" in both the current year, and the previous year columns. I am
wondering if there is a way when I add the new data to the current year for
it to ONLY add to the same data in the other column for the previous year w/o
having to change the formula on every column. Doing so I would like it to
automatically add up like previously stated everytime I add new data to the
current monthly data... Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!!!

Nick P

"nparrott" wrote in message
Here is my scenario...

Say I have 5 columns of data and it goes down for 29 cells for the day
in
the month of february. Each day I am adding data to the next cell
down.
What I am wanting to do is have it automatically update the total at
the
bottom of the column when the data is entered. My problem is I dont
want
add all 29 cells at the same time. Only for the cells when they are
being
updated.. If anyone has any sugestions or advice I would greatly
appreciate
it! Thanks in advance!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Tarburton

Summing from the first of the month to today can be done.
Use the offset function with
MATCH(TODAY(),"your_date_range",0)-ROW(point_to_cell_with_2/1/2006)+1
used to determin the number of columns in the range.

Automatically transferring from current to last year when you enter is out
of my league.
Seems obnoxious to ask, you don't copy last year to a new column at the end
of the year?
You could still have the current column populated with 365 days of data, but
the previous would not have to automatically populate

"nparrott" wrote in message
Here is my scenario...

Say I have 5 columns of data and it goes down for 29 cells for the
day
in
the month of february. Each day I am adding data to the next cell
down.
What I am wanting to do is have it automatically update the total at
the
bottom of the column when the data is entered. My problem is I dont
want
add all 29 cells at the same time. Only for the cells when they are
being
updated.. If anyone has any sugestions or advice I would greatly
appreciate
it! Thanks in advance!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
nparrott

figured it out... i just used a =sumif formula...

Thanks again for your help and time...