Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
GoodTrouble

Default Display Day...

I have a whole spreadsheet of dates that I have worked and related numbers.
The dates are in mm/dd/yy format. I would like in another colum to be able to
have those dates as the days they were...Such as Monday, Tuesday...etc... And
then I need to pull averages for each Monday, Tuesday...etc of each month...

Is this at all possible??
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

You could do it by:

=A1
and format it to show the day of the week.

But you could use a custom format for the original date:
mm/dd/yyyy dddd

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JMB

To display the day the dates represent (assuming the date is in cell A1)

=VLOOKUP(WEEKDAY(A1),{1,"Sunday";2,"Monday";3,"Tue sday";4,"Wednesday";5,"Thursday";6,"Friday";7,"Sat urday"},2,FALSE)

Then copy it down as far as necessary.

To get an average for a particular day (say Friday) you could do something
like

SUMIF(C1:C5,"Friday",B1:B5)/COUNTIF(C1:C5,"Friday")

where C1:C5 contains the VLookup formulae above, B1:B5 contains the numeric
data you want averaged.

"GoodTrouble" wrote:

I have a whole spreadsheet of dates that I have worked and related numbers.
The dates are in mm/dd/yy format. I would like in another colum to be able to
have those dates as the days they were...Such as Monday, Tuesday...etc... And
then I need to pull averages for each Monday, Tuesday...etc of each month...

Is this at all possible??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Florida User

To display the date as Monday etc - use format cells \ custom \ type and
enter dddd

That should do it --