Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pmpjr

Default Open Excel 2003 from Windows Explorer

Application name Microsoft Excel SP2
Version 11.0
Build 6560
Product ID Not Available
Application path C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11
Language English (United States)

Cannot open Excel file from Windows Explorer if Excel has not been opened
first. What I see on the screen is Excel without a spreadsheet. Clicking on
any menu or button fails to work. Can only click on the Close red X to close
Excel. As Excel closes, I can see the spreadsheet forjust a flash. I do not
know what to do to fix this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

If you do file|print preview, do you see your worksheet?

If yes, then try:
window|arrange|tiled
and resize it the way you want.

If no, ...

Sometimes one of these works:

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
exceluserforeman

Yes,
This also is in Excel10. You have to File Open to open the workbook. I
have noticed that other office applications actually open the file without
having to execute the application.exe first

Word is okay. Have not tried Access. Powerpoint is also okay. There must be
something in Excel Options to allow the file to open when you
click(double-click) a workbook.

Maybe uncheck "Startup Task Pane" in 0ptions. It made no difference to me,
though.

"pmpjr" wrote:

Application name Microsoft Excel SP2
Version 11.0
Build 6560
Product ID Not Available
Application path C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11
Language English (United States)

Cannot open Excel file from Windows Explorer if Excel has not been opened
first. What I see on the screen is Excel without a spreadsheet. Clicking on
any menu or button fails to work. Can only click on the Close red X to close
Excel. As Excel closes, I can see the spreadsheet forjust a flash. I do not
know what to do to fix this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pmpjr

Excel works except for opening an .xls file from Windows Explorer WHEN Excel
is NOT opened. If Excel is opened first, it works.

1. Cannot click on file|print preview as Excel acts as if it is locked up.
I can reposition the Excel window. Only the minimize, maximize, and Close
buttons operate when I click on them.

2. Ignore other applications was already unchecked.

3. Did excel/unregserver & excel /regserver but receive no joy!

I am just lost as to what to do, except to insure that I open Excel before
clicking on Excel files in Windows Exploer.

pmpjr wrote:

Application name Microsoft Excel SP2
Version 11.0
Build 6560
Product ID Not Available
Application path C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11
Language English (United States)

Cannot open Excel file from Windows Explorer if Excel has not been opened
first. What I see on the screen is Excel without a spreadsheet. Clicking on
any menu or button fails to work. Can only click on the Close red X to close
Excel. As Excel closes, I can see the spreadsheet forjust a flash. I do not
know what to do to fix this.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Have you tried opening other workbooks from windows explorer after you've done
those two suggestions?

Maybe it's a problem with that single file.

pmpjr wrote:

Application name Microsoft Excel SP2
Version 11.0
Build 6560
Product ID Not Available
Application path C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11
Language English (United States)

Cannot open Excel file from Windows Explorer if Excel has not been opened
first. What I see on the screen is Excel without a spreadsheet. Clicking on
any menu or button fails to work. Can only click on the Close red X to close
Excel. As Excel closes, I can see the spreadsheet forjust a flash. I do not
know what to do to fix this.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pmpjr

Excel works except for opening ANY .xls file from Windows Explorer WHEN Excel
is NOT opened. If Excel is opened first, it works.

1. Cannot click on file|print preview as Excel acts as if it is locked up.
I can reposition the Excel window. Only the minimize, maximize, and Close
buttons operate when I click on them.

2. Ignore other applications was already unchecked.

3. Did excel/unregserver & excel /regserver but receive no joy!

Other Office products work as expected except this problem with Excel. All
I can do is insure that I open Excel before clicking on Excel files in
Windows Exploer.

pmpjr wrote:

Application name Microsoft Excel SP2
Version 11.0
Build 6560
Product ID Not Available
Application path C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11
Language English (United States)

Cannot open Excel file from Windows Explorer if Excel has not been opened
first. What I see on the screen is Excel without a spreadsheet. Clicking on
any menu or button fails to work. Can only click on the Close red X to close
Excel. As Excel closes, I can see the spreadsheet forjust a flash. I do not
know what to do to fix this.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

I have the same problem. We have tried to reinstall completely Office 2003,
but it did not work.
I also tried "Startup Task Pane" in 0ptions. It made no difference !!!
This is very anoying !!!

MVmci

"pmpjr" wrote:

Application name Microsoft Excel SP2
Version 11.0
Build 6560
Product ID Not Available
Application path C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11
Language English (United States)

Cannot open Excel file from Windows Explorer if Excel has not been opened
first. What I see on the screen is Excel without a spreadsheet. Clicking on
any menu or button fails to work. Can only click on the Close red X to close
Excel. As Excel closes, I can see the spreadsheet forjust a flash. I do not
know what to do to fix this.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm confused about the problem you have.

If you actually see the file when excel closes (I've never experienced that),
then maybe the file is open, but just off the screen.

Try window|arrange|tiled (and resize the way you like).

If that doesn't fix it, then maybe....

Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double clicking on
the file in windows explorer:

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

Maybe one of these will work for you.

If none of this helps, you may want to post back with a description of your
problem.

"pmpjr" wrote:

Application name Microsoft Excel SP2
Version 11.0
Build 6560
Product ID Not Available
Application path C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11
Language English (United States)

Cannot open Excel file from Windows Explorer if Excel has not been opened
first. What I see on the screen is Excel without a spreadsheet. Clicking on
any menu or button fails to work. Can only click on the Close red X to close
Excel. As Excel closes, I can see the spreadsheet forjust a flash. I do not
know what to do to fix this.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you, problem solved.
The problem was that when double-clicking on the xls-icon (e.g. on desktop
or in outlook), that excel opens, but not the file itself.
the problem was that in the options of excel, in the general tab, the
"ignore other applications" was ticked on.
problem solved by ticking it off.

THX
MVmci