Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
MCmci MCmci is offline

Default Open Excel 2003 from Windows Explorer

Thank you, problem solved.
The problem was that when double-clicking on the xls-icon (e.g. on desktop
or in outlook), that excel opens, but not the file itself.
the problem was that in the options of excel, in the general tab, the
"ignore other applications" was ticked on.
problem solved by ticking it off.

THX
MVmci

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

I'm confused about the problem you have.

If you actually see the file when excel closes (I've never experienced that),
then maybe the file is open, but just off the screen.

Try window|arrange|tiled (and resize the way you like).

If that doesn't fix it, then maybe....

Sometimes one of these works when you're having trouble with double clicking on
the file in windows explorer:

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

Maybe one of these will work for you.

If none of this helps, you may want to post back with a description of your
problem.

MCmci wrote:

Hi,

I have the same problem. We have tried to reinstall completely Office 2003,
but it did not work.
I also tried "Startup Task Pane" in 0ptions. It made no difference !!!
This is very anoying !!!

MVmci

"pmpjr" wrote:

yeah, there seems to be no one at Microsoft who believes this actual happens!

"exceluserforeman" wrote:

Yes,
This also is in Excel10. You have to File Open to open the workbook. I
have noticed that other office applications actually open the file without
having to execute the application.exe first

Word is okay. Have not tried Access. Powerpoint is also okay. There must be
something in Excel Options to allow the file to open when you
click(double-click) a workbook.

Maybe uncheck "Startup Task Pane" in 0ptions. It made no difference to me,
though.

"pmpjr" wrote:

Application name Microsoft Excel SP2
Version 11.0
Build 6560
Product ID Not Available
Application path C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11
Language English (United States)

Cannot open Excel file from Windows Explorer if Excel has not been opened
first. What I see on the screen is Excel without a spreadsheet. Clicking on
any menu or button fails to work. Can only click on the Close red X to close
Excel. As Excel closes, I can see the spreadsheet forjust a flash. I do not
know what to do to fix this.

--

Dave Peterson