Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
LLM

Default sum cells IF no text present

Hello,

I am a novice excel user and I am trying to sum cells, some of which
have numbers and text, others that have only numbers. I have to add,
for example: 0.2U, 0.3, 0.1U. Or 0.4U, 0.5U. I need to add only the
cells that do not contain text. The first example should return a sum
of 0.3, the second should return 0. Any suggestions?
LLM

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin Vaughn

The sum function is tailor made for this request.
=sum(a1:a3)

--
Kevin Vaughn

"LLM" wrote:

Hello,

I am a novice excel user and I am trying to sum cells, some of which
have numbers and text, others that have only numbers. I have to add,
for example: 0.2U, 0.3, 0.1U. Or 0.4U, 0.5U. I need to add only the
cells that do not contain text. The first example should return a sum
of 0.3, the second should return 0. Any suggestions?
LLM

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
daddylonglegs

Use SUM, it ignores text so

=SUM(A1:A5) will sum any numeric values in the range A1:A5, e.g. 0.3
but ignore text entries e.g. 0.1U

If you have a non-contiguous range then you can use something like

=SUM(A1,A3,A5)

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
LLM

Thanks! I had been using the basic =A2+A4 format. The SUM works fine.