Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
aldy67

Default Football Coach needs help

I am trying to use Excel to calculate tendencies over the course of a
football season. I can get the numbers I want through using the
Filters, but I was hoping that I could build some formulas and the
numbers would run for me.

Example: How many 1st Down plays were there?
Answer: COUNTIF statement in the Down column

Example: How many yards were gained on 1st down?
Answer: SUMIF statement referencing the Down column but summing the
Yards column

The same holds true for how many passes and runs, and yards for each.

Here's the rub, how can you compute a total number with 2 separate
criteria:

How many run plays were there on 1st Down?

I have looked at the pivot tables too, and I think there may be some
answers there, but I am not real knowledgable in that area either.

Thanks for any help.

-Mike

--
aldy67
aldy67's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31332

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bernie Deitrick

Mike,

How many run plays were there on 1st Down?

Formula:

=SUMPRODUCT((rangewithdowns=1)*(rangewithplaytype= "RUN"))

And you're right: Pivot tables would definitely be the way to go. Then you could select any criteria
combination (including others that you did not mention - quarterback sneaks on second downs in the
third quarter with the wind blowing from the west....) and show the count without developing a
custom formula.

If you want to try the pivot table apporach, email me a worksheet, and I'll set it up.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP