Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Fam via OfficeKB.com

Default numeric value is not formatting correctly

Hello everybody,
I have one small problem. Hope someone can shed some light on.
I'm using =LEFT(A2,5) fuction to extract some numeric values. Once the value
is extracted in different cell (let say C2), the value in C2 is not
formatting correctly. And what I mean by that is that the $ sign or "," is
not applicable to format the extracted value. Yes, once you over write it, it
will format like $ 23.00 but you have to overwite it. Now I have atleast over
a thousand rows and it will take lot of time if I have to do cell by cell. Is
there is way that I can highlight the extracted values and somehow able to
format correctly?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Fam

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

Try this. Copy an empty, unused cell. Select the range of 'numbers' and then
Edit/Paste Special/Add
Make a backup before you start!

Hope this helps.
Andy.

"Fam via OfficeKB.com" <u18245@uwe wrote in message
Hello everybody,
I have one small problem. Hope someone can shed some light on.
I'm using =LEFT(A2,5) fuction to extract some numeric values. Once the
value
is extracted in different cell (let say C2), the value in C2 is not
formatting correctly. And what I mean by that is that the $ sign or "," is
not applicable to format the extracted value. Yes, once you over write it,
it
will format like $ 23.00 but you have to overwite it. Now I have atleast
over
a thousand rows and it will take lot of time if I have to do cell by cell.
Is
there is way that I can highlight the extracted values and somehow able to
format correctly?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Fam

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bernard Liengme

That is because the LEFT function returns text: you may have 23.00 but it is
still text made up of digits.
To coerce a numeric value you need to 'do some math' on the result. So any
of these work:
=--LEFT(A2,5) 'preferred
=LEFT(A2,5)*1
=LEFT(A2,5)+0
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

Hello everybody,
I have one small problem. Hope someone can shed some light on.
I'm using =LEFT(A2,5) fuction to extract some numeric values. Once the
value
is extracted in different cell (let say C2), the value in C2 is not
formatting correctly. And what I mean by that is that the $ sign or "," is
not applicable to format the extracted value. Yes, once you over write it,
it
will format like $ 23.00 but you have to overwite it. Now I have atleast
over
a thousand rows and it will take lot of time if I have to do cell by cell.
Is
there is way that I can highlight the extracted values and somehow able to
format correctly?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Fam

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Fam via OfficeKB.com

Andy, thanks for the reponse.
I did not get it. Can you please eloborate little more?
Thanks

wrote:
Hi

Try this. Copy an empty, unused cell. Select the range of 'numbers' and then
Edit/Paste Special/Add
Make a backup before you start!

Hope this helps.
Andy.

Hello everybody,
I have one small problem. Hope someone can shed some light on.

[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Fam

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc