Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bernard Liengme

Default numeric value is not formatting correctly

That is because the LEFT function returns text: you may have 23.00 but it is
still text made up of digits.
To coerce a numeric value you need to 'do some math' on the result. So any
of these work:
=--LEFT(A2,5) 'preferred
=LEFT(A2,5)*1
=LEFT(A2,5)+0
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Fam via OfficeKB.com" <u18245@uwe wrote in message
Hello everybody,
I have one small problem. Hope someone can shed some light on.
I'm using =LEFT(A2,5) fuction to extract some numeric values. Once the
value
is extracted in different cell (let say C2), the value in C2 is not
formatting correctly. And what I mean by that is that the $ sign or "," is
not applicable to format the extracted value. Yes, once you over write it,
it
will format like $ 23.00 but you have to overwite it. Now I have atleast
over
a thousand rows and it will take lot of time if I have to do cell by cell.
Is
there is way that I can highlight the extracted values and somehow able to
format correctly?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Fam