Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jcraig713

Default Protect Cells ???

I have a spredsheet that I have masny formulas in. I have the fields with
the calculations/formulas in them and fields for entering data. Is there a
way to protect just the cells with the formula in it and leave the data entry
cells open for keying. People keep messing up my spreadsheet and typing over
my formulas! Please advise.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

You can lock the cells with formulas and unlock the cells that are for data
entry (and lock the cells with comments/descriptions/headers/etc).

It's usually easiest locking everything and then unlocking the few cells you
need for data entry.

Select all the cells (ctrl-A a few times).
format|Cells|protection tab|check locked

The select the cells that are for data entry (click on the first and ctrl-click
on subsequent to do more than one at a time).
format|cells|protection tab|uncheck locked

But locked/unlocked cells don't really do much until you protect the worksheet.

Tools|Protection|protect sheet
Give it a memorable password if you want.

But be aware that worksheet protection is easy to break. (I usually just leave
the password empty. It serves the purpose of protecting the sheet, but makes it
an easy password to remember <bg.)

And also there are lots of things you can't do on a protected sheet. You may
want to try all the things you expect the users to do.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Rech

Select the input cells and then do a Format, Cells, Protection and then
uncheck Locked. Next use Tools, Protection, Protect Sheet, assigning a
password if you want.

--
Jim