Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bill Jensen

Default custom user help

Is there any way to have a popup window appear when the user presses F3 (or
some other F key)? I am trying to create some help capability for my users.

Comments are useful but they interfere with the Validation windows for the
same cell.

I have written Winhelp files for Access but now I neex to know the best way
to create "custom help" for an Excel workbook.

Any general guidance would be appreciated.

Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Cone

Bill,

I don't think there is a "best" way to create custom help for Excel.

John Walkenbach has one way here...

Another way would be to display a message when a particular cell
is double clicked.
Also, the MsgBox function has the ability to display help.
Yes, you can assign code to key strokes, see the OnKey method.

As far as the built-in Excel help goes, I feel Microsoft "improved"
help by making it harder to use and slower to respond.
Compare XL 97 help to recent versions to see what I mean.

Regards,
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Bill Jensen"
wrote in message

Is there any way to have a popup window appear when the user presses F3 (or
some other F key)? I am trying to create some help capability for my users.

Comments are useful but they interfere with the Validation windows for the
same cell.

I have written Winhelp files for Access but now I neex to know the best way
to create "custom help" for an Excel workbook.

Any general guidance would be appreciated.

Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jim Cone

Bill,

Code like the following placed in the worksheet code module...
'--------------------------
Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
Select Case True
Case Target.Address(False, False) Like "B4"
'Call your message box - might best go in standard module
MsgBox "help"
Cancel = True
Case Target.Address(False, False) Like "C5"
'Call message box with different text
MsgBox "more help"
Cancel = True
End Select