Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
libra2222

Default custom color palette does not get transferred with the workbook. Excel 2003

Scenario:We use a custom color palette with predefined company colors,
and excel 2003. Default workbook has also been modified to replicate
colors to new workbooks - located at %userprofile%\Application
Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART\workbook.xls

NOw the problem: When users create a workbook based in the default and
email it to outside users who does not have the custom color palette
defined as default, the colors change - custom palette disappears and
workbook shows excel default colors,sometimes making the document very
difficult to read.

Also, if we email the document back to the original user, and he opens
it directly from the Outlook attachment, the document opens with the
wrong colour. THEN, if opened from inside Excel, the custom colour
palette appears again.
It seems to me that the custom colour palette is not being kept with
the workbook, but only applied to teh document after it gets 'loaded'
from the default template. This is strange. Should'nt color palette
remain with the workbook?

Previously, when using Excel 2000 we did not have this issue.
thanks for your help

--
libra2222
libra2222's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=16774

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Just some questions/comments.

I would think that the default workbook would be named book.xlt (and saved as a
template file) in that XLStart folder. (But I don't know how you're creating
those workbooks based on that workbook.xls file.)

And I've never seen the color palette get lost--it's always travelled with the
workbook for me (no matter what version of excel I'm using).

Is there any chance that the users are not opening the correct workbook? (I'd
guess user error if I were forced to.)

libra2222 wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
libra2222

Yes, sorry i mean book.xlt, not xls...
I got the problem fixed, it was not excel but AD/DNS problems - folder
redirection not working correctly therefore some profiles were pointing
to the local folder, which did not have the custom colours.
Thanks for your help :)

--
libra2222
libra2222's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=16774