Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
duncan79

Default 3-d referencing inconsistent

All i want to do is to call up simple text fields from 1 worksheet to
another using the simple formula

=Sheet1!A2

for example however i have found that sometimes this works sometimes it
doesnt. i cannot see that i am doing anything different when it doesnt
work, to what i input when it does work. does my excel copy being buggy
or is there some rule regarding the use of this formula that i am
unaware of

please help

thanks
dunc

--
duncan79
duncan79's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30833

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:10:45 -0600, duncan79
wrote:

All i want to do is to call up simple text fields from 1 worksheet to
another using the simple formula

=Sheet1!A2

for example however i have found that sometimes this works sometimes it
doesnt. i cannot see that i am doing anything different when it doesnt
work, to what i input when it does work. does my excel copy being buggy
or is there some rule regarding the use of this formula that i am
unaware of

please help

thanks
dunc

You'll need to be more specific when you write "doesn't work".

What does the formula you gave return when it "doesn't work"?

What is the contents of Sheet1!A2

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
duncan79

Yeah sorry

Sheet1 Has been named Contacts and is being used as a database of
contacts so i want to pull the names out to use in other spreadsheets

when i type =Contacts!F3 (for example) either manually entered or by
clicking to the relevant cell it sometimes pulls the name into the
other spreadsheet and sometimes it simply displays =Contacts!F3 as if
the entry were not a reference but an entry in its own right.

i dont think i'm missing anything obvious

--
duncan79
duncan79's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30833
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=504959

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 10:46:04 -0600, duncan79
wrote:

Yeah sorry

Sheet1 Has been named Contacts and is being used as a database of
contacts so i want to pull the names out to use in other spreadsheets

when i type =Contacts!F3 (for example) either manually entered or by
clicking to the relevant cell it sometimes pulls the name into the
other spreadsheet and sometimes it simply displays =Contacts!F3 as if
the entry were not a reference but an entry in its own right.

i dont think i'm missing anything obvious

Either the cell into which you type =Contacts!F3 was pre-formatted as TEXT, or
you are inadvertently adding a character which is causing Excel to interpret
the string as TEXT. A leading <space or <' will do that.

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
duncan79

It was the pre-formatting, thanks for your help I'm pretty new to this.
Much appreciated:) :) :)

--
duncan79
duncan79's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30833
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=504959

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 11:22:23 -0600, duncan79
wrote:

It was the pre-formatting, thanks for your help I'm pretty new to this.
Much appreciated:) :) :)

Glad to help. Thanks for the feedback.
--ron