Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CJ

Default Why does the screen show other than what I type into a cell?

I'm entering an amount into a cell, but the screen shows a number altogether
different from what I type.

I checked the format of the cell. I couldn't see anything wrong.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Niek Otten

Maybe a stupid question, but...
What did you type and what did you see? And how was the cell formatted?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"CJ" wrote in message
I'm entering an amount into a cell, but the screen shows a number
altogether
different from what I type.

I checked the format of the cell. I couldn't see anything wrong.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
EdMac

If you tell us what you type and what you get it would help

Ed

--
EdMac
EdMac's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30736

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ufo_pilot

Amount, hmm..., numbers?
FormatCellsNumbersDecimal places maybe
perhaps you typed in 0.899756 and are getting 1 because you have 0 or too
few decimal places formatted....????

"EdMac" wrote:

If you tell us what you type and what you get it would help

Ed

--
EdMac
EdMac's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30736
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=504934

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sloth

Can't say for sure without an example, but try these two solutions.

I. Under Tools-Options-Edit Tab
Make sure the "Fixed Decimal" is unchecked. This will change 260 to 2.6 and
2620 to 26.2.

II. Check the formatting. You might have a strange custom number format like
1234
this will make any number entered show up as 1234 instead of the number.
Change it to General or Number or something more appropriate.