-   -   Why does the screen show other than what I type into a cell? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/67298-why-does-screen-show-other-than-what-i-type-into-cell.html)

CJ

Why does the screen show other than what I type into a cell?

I'm entering an amount into a cell, but the screen shows a number altogether
different from what I type.

I checked the format of the cell. I couldn't see anything wrong.

Niek Otten

Why does the screen show other than what I type into a cell?

Maybe a stupid question, but...
What did you type and what did you see? And how was the cell formatted?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"CJ" wrote in message
I'm entering an amount into a cell, but the screen shows a number
altogether
different from what I type.

I checked the format of the cell. I couldn't see anything wrong.

EdMac

Why does the screen show other than what I type into a cell?

If you tell us what you type and what you get it would help

Ed

--
EdMac
EdMac's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30736

ufo_pilot

Why does the screen show other than what I type into a cell?

Amount, hmm..., numbers?
FormatCellsNumbersDecimal places maybe
perhaps you typed in 0.899756 and are getting 1 because you have 0 or too
few decimal places formatted....????

"EdMac" wrote:

If you tell us what you type and what you get it would help

Ed

--
EdMac
EdMac's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30736
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=504934

Sloth

Why does the screen show other than what I type into a cell?

Can't say for sure without an example, but try these two solutions.

I. Under Tools-Options-Edit Tab
Make sure the "Fixed Decimal" is unchecked. This will change 260 to 2.6 and
2620 to 26.2.

II. Check the formatting. You might have a strange custom number format like
1234
this will make any number entered show up as 1234 instead of the number.
Change it to General or Number or something more appropriate.