Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
small tom

Default making a time a measurement of time, not an hour of the day??

I am creating a timesheet (from a tutorial in a mag) and have the clock
in time, clock out time and break. Clock in and out are times of the
day - fine. The break time is a measurement of time, eg, 1hour, rather
than a specific time, eg, 1.00am. I cannot seem to make the break
setting a measurement of time (even though I have followed the tutorial
to the letter).

How do I set the break to be a measurement of time?

Am using Office Mac 2004.

Thanks in advance

Tom

--
small tom
small tom's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27828

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

Presumably you have subtracted the clock-in time from the clock-out time.
Just multiply that result by 24 as Excel stores time as a fraction of 1 day,
and format it as General.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"small tom" wrote in
message ...

I am creating a timesheet (from a tutorial in a mag) and have the clock
in time, clock out time and break. Clock in and out are times of the
day - fine. The break time is a measurement of time, eg, 1hour, rather
than a specific time, eg, 1.00am. I cannot seem to make the break
setting a measurement of time (even though I have followed the tutorial
to the letter).

How do I set the break to be a measurement of time?

Am using Office Mac 2004.

Thanks in advance

Tom

--
small tom
small tom's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=504413

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 05:27:06 -0600, small tom
wrote:

I am creating a timesheet (from a tutorial in a mag) and have the clock
in time, clock out time and break. Clock in and out are times of the
day - fine. The break time is a measurement of time, eg, 1hour, rather
than a specific time, eg, 1.00am. I cannot seem to make the break
setting a measurement of time (even though I have followed the tutorial
to the letter).

How do I set the break to be a measurement of time?

Am using Office Mac 2004.

Thanks in advance

Tom

Just format the cell as h:mm or [h]:mm
Format/Cells/Number/Custom Type: ____

It will appear properly in the cell.

You cannot change it's appearance in the formula bar.
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
small tom

Sorry, I obviously did not explain myself very well. I have already
subtracted the clock in time from clock out etc and that all works fine
but when I input my break time (eg, 0:45 for 45mins) it changes it to
12.45am and therefore I cannot subtract this from the total and get a
nice neat "hours worked" sum.

I need to know how to make 0:45 equate to 45mins rather than 12.45am.

Cheers

Tom

--
small tom
small tom's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27828
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=504413

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

Format that as hh:mm

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"small tom" wrote
in message ...

Sorry, I obviously did not explain myself very well. I have already
subtracted the clock in time from clock out etc and that all works fine
but when I input my break time (eg, 0:45 for 45mins) it changes it to
12.45am and therefore I cannot subtract this from the total and get a
nice neat "hours worked" sum.

I need to know how to make 0:45 equate to 45mins rather than 12.45am.

Cheers

Tom

--
small tom
small tom's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=504413

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
small tom

Thanks for that - had already tried it and it was not working but as it
turns out, I had another error elsewhere. All sorted now ta.

Cheers

Tom

--
small tom
small tom's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27828
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=504413

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David McRitchie

Hi Tom,
and since it looks like you will probably needing additional help with
understanding and using date and time suggest you look over
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/datetime.htm
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/excel.htm

You might also keep the format [hh]:mm or [h]:mm
in mind to keep hours from overflowing into days when
you add up a column of times.
---
HTH,

"Bob Phillips" wrote ...