Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
strider11580

Default Is there a way to add up check boxes

I have a Excel sheet that I made. I went to View, Toolbars, then Control
Toolbox. I entered the design mode and made a check box. I then proceded to
adjust that box to fit the cell I needed it to fit into. I then added the
boxes to the whole collum. I can check and uncheck my boxes fine. I would
like to have a running total at the bottom of that row to tell me how many
boxes are checked. I will be adding and subtracting checks from this collum
so I need it to keep up and tell me how many I have checked. Can some one
give me an idea of how to do it. I have been told since the checkbox is like
a picture you can't add them up, or somthing to that effect.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Anne Troy

This is NOT an easy way to do this unless you are seldom adding/subtracting
checkboxes. You'd be better off putting an X in a column or counting a
column of values (count or counta functions). However, hit Alt+F11. Make
sure you are viewing the Properties window (View menu). Hit the dropdown.
For each checkbox, make sure you have assigned a "linked cell". Then, you
can use the same column for all the checkboxes, and do =sum(M:M) where A is
the column letter you're using.
************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"strider11580" wrote in message
I have a Excel sheet that I made. I went to View, Toolbars, then Control
Toolbox. I entered the design mode and made a check box. I then proceded
adjust that box to fit the cell I needed it to fit into. I then added the
boxes to the whole collum. I can check and uncheck my boxes fine. I would
like to have a running total at the bottom of that row to tell me how many
boxes are checked. I will be adding and subtracting checks from this
collum
so I need it to keep up and tell me how many I have checked. Can some one
give me an idea of how to do it. I have been told since the checkbox is
like
a picture you can't add them up, or somthing to that effect.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

Hi!

Open the Control Toolbx toolbar
Click on Design Mode
Right click the checkbox and select Properties
Look for LinkedCell
Enter a cell reference that will link the checkbox to that cell. When the
checkbox is checked the linked cell will display TRUE, when the checkbox is
unchecked the linked cell will display FALSE.

Exit Design Mode

Then, to count how many checkboxes are checked you just need a simple
Countif:

Assume all the checkboxes are linked to cells in column A:

=COUNTIF(A1:A20,TRUE)

You may not want to see the contents of the linked cells. You might be able
to "cover" them with the checkbox itself or you can put them in an off
screen location or you can hide them with conditional formatting. Lots of
options!

Biff