Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
shirley_kee

Default How to prevent user to copy excel file to their own pc

I'm using Excel as my database. User access to the Excel database by
using another Excel I've created using macro. Basically it means, I
have one database called (CFS_database.xls) and another main screen to
access to the CFS_database (called "Main.xls").

When user edit the database through Main.xls, it will open the
CFS_database and do all the editing by using the form I've created.
These 2 excel files are share among users.

Even though they have full access to the file, how can I *prevent them
from copying CFS_database* to their own pc by using macro VBA?

PLEASE HELP... :)

--
shirley_kee
shirley_kee's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30384

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I don't think you can stop any one if they really want to get the file. Excel's
protection just isn't made for that.

Maybe you could save the database file as a hidden file and have the main.xls
file open (and close it) when the main.xls file opens (and closes).

And if you give the database file a password to open (file|saveAs|Tools), then
maybe it'll stop most from trying to copy the database file.

(And if you save the database file as a hidden workbook, it might even be
better.)

But be prepared to answer questions like why is the file locked by someone
else--I checked their pc and I didn't see it open!

shirley_kee wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
chris100

I was just considering this problem myself. There must be some way to
prevent a user finding your excel file and just simply copying and
pasting elsewhere?

I've been working on a large invoicing project for our business for a
while now, and i'd hate to thing that an employee could take it home to
either use themselves or try and crack at a later date. I've had
toooooo many long nights to let that happen!

--
chris100
chris100's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25166

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

When you save under tools there is an option called general option where you
can set a password for opening the file, it can still be cracked using
commercial software but it is harder for the average user

Peo Sjoblom

http://nwexcelsolutions.com

"chris100" wrote in
message ...

I was just considering this problem myself. There must be some way to
prevent a user finding your excel file and just simply copying and
pasting elsewhere?

I've been working on a large invoicing project for our business for a
while now, and i'd hate to thing that an employee could take it home to
either use themselves or try and crack at a later date. I've had
toooooo many long nights to let that happen!

--
chris100
chris100's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=503893

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
chris100

The problem is if the file is copied and taken away. That password
option only works if someone doesn't know it!
Someone who uses the file must know the password to access it, but if
they are maliciously minded they could take the file home and play with
it to their hearts content.....