Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default validation question

I Have a problem when formatting cekks to accept a drop down list via data
validation.
For some reason the cells do not display the drop down menu..

Going in to the cell all appears OK - i have used this function many times
before.

Is there something obvious i may have missed .??
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Vito

The drop down is available when you select the "List" validation.

If you have chosen the "List" validation, then ensure the "In-cell
drop-down" checkbox is checked, otherwise there will be no drop down
available.

--
Vito
Vito's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29182

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Govind

Hi,

If you are using Data-Validation, then the drop down appears only if
you click on the cell and if not , it looks like a normal cell.

If you always want the dropdown to be displayed, try inserting a combox
box from the Forms Toolbar.

Regards

Govind.

G wrote:

I Have a problem when formatting cekks to accept a drop down list via data
validation.
For some reason the cells do not display the drop down menu..

Going in to the cell all appears OK - i have used this function many times
before.

Is there something obvious i may have missed .??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Incell drop down ticked..
I have used this function many times before, the strange thing being that it
works fine on other pages within the workbook..

Feel i have something swithced off in options or view but cannot see
anything that works..

"Vito" wrote:

The drop down is available when you select the "List" validation.

If you have chosen the "List" validation, then ensure the "In-cell
drop-down" checkbox is checked, otherwise there will be no drop down
available.

--
Vito
Vito's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29182
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=503885

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

"G" wrote
... Incell drop down ticked..
I have used this function many times before,
the strange thing being that it works fine on other pages
within the workbook..
Feel i have something switched off in options or view
but cannot see anything that works..

Are you using Excel 97?
Just to share some thoughts .. (no solution to offer, sorry).
I've experienced this phenomena before in Excel 97 (my ver)
One particular sheet just went "poof" one fine day while working in Excel.
All existing DV droplists just plain disappeared. And new DVs created
stubbornly refused to show the droplists in the sheet. Had no choice then
but to revert to my last back-up (in which the existing DVs still worked in
that particular sheet), and recover / re-work from there ( .. was thankful I
did the back-ups .. )
--
Max
Singapore

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

If you had some code for deleting shapes, it is possible that you deleted
the arrow shape inadvertently.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Vito" wrote:

The drop down is available when you select the "List" validation.

If you have chosen the "List" validation, then ensure the "In-cell
drop-down" checkbox is checked, otherwise there will be no drop down
available.

--
Vito
Vito's Profile:

View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

Bob, I couldn't help having a deja vu` feeling <g,
re - similar discussions with Dave Peterson in 6/2004:
http://tinyurl.com/d3las
(.. and I swear there wasn't any code in use)
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

Hi Max,

So did I when I read this. Dave and I also had a discussion in Mar 2005

http://tinyurl.com/de4cx

Not a solution IAF, but a way to ensure your code doesn't cause it.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Max" wrote in message
Bob, I couldn't help having a deja vu` feeling <g,
re - similar discussions with Dave Peterson in 6/2004:
http://tinyurl.com/d3las
(.. and I swear there wasn't any code in use)
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

If if you're using xl97 and that cell with the dropdown validation is above the
window|freeze panes, then that could be the problem, too.

G wrote:

I Have a problem when formatting cekks to accept a drop down list via data
validation.
For some reason the cells do not display the drop down menu..

Going in to the cell all appears OK - i have used this function many times
before.

Is there something obvious i may have missed .??

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi All,

I'm afraid it remains a mystery. No hidden code nothing sneaky (that I could
see anyway) FYI i am using 2003.

I resolved the issue by copying the sheet and starting again...

Perhaps we'll nver know !!!

"G" wrote:

I Have a problem when formatting cekks to accept a drop down list via data
validation.
For some reason the cells do not display the drop down menu..

Going in to the cell all appears OK - i have used this function many times
before.

Is there something obvious i may have missed .??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

"Bob Phillips" wrote:
.. Dave and I also had a discussion in Mar 2005

* http://tinyurl.com/de4cx

Yes, I do recollect that thread .. strung along a bit later there

Not a solution IAF, but a way to ensure your code doesn't cause it.

The precautions/code offered are well taken, and appreciated.

Thankfully, this "event" hasn't recurred since to me (touch wood ..). It'll
be great though, if there was code available which could re-instate the
"lost" DV dropdown functionality in the sheet, whatever its underlying
cause(s) may be.
---
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

"Max" wrote in message
"Bob Phillips" wrote:
.. Dave and I also had a discussion in Mar 2005

* http://tinyurl.com/de4cx

Thankfully, this "event" hasn't recurred since to me (touch wood ..).

It'll
be great though, if there was code available which could re-instate the
"lost" DV dropdown functionality in the sheet, whatever its underlying
cause(s) may be.

Unfortunately that is the thing that nobody has been able to do AFAIK.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

Thanks for responding, Bob !