Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
nastech

Default And Question, (a&b, or just a)

Hi, I am trying to save some space, ~30% 1 column, cant tell if there is a
short way. short example:

=IF(S9="","",IF(X1="c",AND(AND(A1="a",B1="b"),AND( C1="c",D1="d")),AND(A1="a",B1="b")))

if x=1, then part a & b, otherwise, just a. This works, but can't see how
to just do with 2 parts, stead of part a repeated twice. just cannot see
it... Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Niek Otten

Is this a real example? This formula returns either a blank or TRUE or
FALSE. What does "This works" mean? What results did you get?
What does "x=1" mean? X1="c"? What do C1 and D1 have to do with it?

Can you explain what you're trying to do?

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"nastech" wrote in message
Hi, I am trying to save some space, ~30% 1 column, cant tell if there is a
short way. short example:

=IF(S9="","",IF(X1="c",AND(AND(A1="a",B1="b"),AND( C1="c",D1="d")),AND(A1="a",B1="b")))

if x=1, then part a & b, otherwise, just a. This works, but can't see how
to just do with 2 parts, stead of part a repeated twice. just cannot see
it... Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DamonLongworth

I agree. It is difficult to determine what you are trying to accomplish.

It seems you could combine your AND statements in the True section of
the second IF:

AND(AND(A1="a",B1="b"),AND( C1="c",D1="d"))

AND(A1="a",B1="b",C1="c",D1="d")

--
DamonLongworth
DamonLongworth's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30711

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
nastech

yes, sorry, assume all items = true, except for X as a toggle. then had to
use 1 leg of a1,b1 twice in formula, when they are the exact same item. as a
wasted space question. good? real formula is way less descriptive / takes
up megabytes..

"nastech" wrote in message
Hi, I am trying to save some space, ~30% 1 column, cant tell if there is a
short way. short example:

=IF(S9="","",IF(X1="c",AND(AND(A1="a",B1="b"),AND( C1="c",D1="d")),AND(A1="a",B1="b")))

if x=1, then part a & b, otherwise, just a. This works, but can't see how
to just do with 2 parts, stead of part a repeated twice. just cannot see
it... Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
nastech

thankyou, that is a good point, looks like can save alittle space. may be a
silly question because don't know if there was an answer, for removing a
repeated variable. (knew what was what on this type of question, to get an
answer have to put in simple terms, because it was extra) been there, irrel
details get no response. thankyou. just find repeat of math terms to be
unacceptable is all. abcd "and" basic. Thanks for the input. it is a move
forward.