Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
B. Stuchly

Default HELP! Joining two docs!

Greetings.

My country is switching tax systems so all the old accounting programs
on computer were rendered obsolete. Now, I accessed the data from the
old program, while trying to see how I could input it in the new one.
But all the data was not parsed into separate cells! For example, the
*name of product*, *catalog number* and *quantity available* are all
stored *within one cell* with the (somewhat) random number of zeros
separating the entries and serving as a delimiter.

I do not posses some great knowledge of working with Excel but if
anyone could parse the data into separate cells or at least tell me how
to do it, it would make my life so much easier since otherwise I would
have to enter 2700 products by hand! Any help is hugely appreciated!

----------------------------

I guess it would be easier to do this: I have two separate documents -
one having all product designations, catalog numbers and prices, the
other one having all the quantities. The common link or key between
these two documents is a *internal storing code*. Document one needs to
be merged with document two; all products with storing code that is not
present in second (no quantity specified, not available for purchase at
the moment) should be discarded.

Please render assistance in any way possible.
If the financial police drops by on monday or tuesday (and there is a
high probabiliy of that) my fathers store could get closed for good!

The link to the file containing the three documents mentioned above can
be downloaded from this address:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BS74CCOF

Filesize of the three documents (zipped) is 279 KiloBytes.

- File titled "Problem 1" has data that's already merged but not parsed
into individual cells.
- File titled "Problem 2A" needs to be merged with file titled "Problem
2B".

Please assist.
Thanks again.

--
B. Stuchly
B. Stuchly's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30703

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
wjohnson

Taking a look at your Problem 1.
Before doing the following - work with or backup your file.
Select the spreadsheet and then select a "Courier" Font - and then
"Right Justify" this will line stuff up a little better for you. for
the right justify you might have to select "VIEW" - TOOLBARS -
FORMATING.
Insert about 4-5 columns between column A and B - as you will need
"blank" columns for the next step.
Select column A and then on the MENU Bar - Select DATA - TEXT TO
COLUMNS - FIXED WIDTH and then follow the directions. This will
separate your Column A into separate columns.
Then do the same for your "OLD" Column B

--
wjohnson
wjohnson's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29640

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
B. Stuchly

:) :) :)

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

:) :) :)

You have no idea how much U've helped me!

:) :) :)

--
B. Stuchly
B. Stuchly's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30703