Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dee

Default Please Help With Duplicates

I actually need some assistance with two things.

#1. How do i locate duplicates in a single colum on a single sheet? For
example i have a file with over over 10, 000 customers. I want to do a
duplicate search ONLY on the email column. How can i get excel to
identify duplicates in that column only.

#2. These customers have expire from my program and i have dates that
they will expire. Is there a formula that can be implemented to change
it from a false to a true after the date is reached? So if they expire
tommorrow,,,,, it changes from false to true on its own with out me
mannually doing it?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

#1. I'd insert another column to the right of the data and use a formula like:

=countif(a:a,a2)

Then I could filter on that column to show values greater than 1 (and decide
which to keep and which to delete).

#2. You could put a common date in a cell and check that against all dates:
=if(b3$a$1,"after date in A1","before (or equal) date in A1"

You can also check against the current date:
=if(b3today(),"after today","before today")

But I'm not sure I'm getting the question right (and probably not the answer!).

#1. How do i locate duplicates in a single colum on a single sheet? For
example i have a file with over over 10, 000 customers. I want to do a
duplicate search ONLY on the email column. How can i get excel to
identify duplicates in that column only.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

Use conditional formatting to identify duplicates within a column:

1. select A1
2. pull-down Format Conditional Formatting...
3. select Equation Is and enter:
=(COUNTIF(A:A,A1)1)
select a distinctive format
4. select A1 again and copy
5. select the rest of the cells in column A and do a paste/special format

All cells with duplicated data will display your format.

--
Gary's Student

#1. How do i locate duplicates in a single colum on a single sheet? For