Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mapgirl

Default Excel 2003 to PDF/X-1a

I have been trying to convert some Excel "graphics" into PDF/X-1a files so I
can place them in Adobe InDesign.
When we used regular PDFs, it didn't embed the fonts like I asked, and the
color gradients came out all funny. The printer told us that we needed to use
PDF/X-1a files instead. I have that option in PDF settings in Excel, but
when I try to create it, I get all sorts of errors because of the RGB colors.
The font problem has been solved, but why doesn't Excel have the option to
convert RGB to CMYK for these files? Is there another way to create validated
PDF/X-1a files?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
vandenberg p

Hello:

Excel was not really designed as a full blown graphics program. So the option
to change color models was never included. You try sever options to get there.
One way is to shift-copy the graphic and paste into Indesign or Illustrator
and save (Indesign) or convert (Illustrator).

You can also print the chart (just select the chart and choose print) to
a file (be sure you select a postscript printer driver) and create a postscript file.
From there you can use Distiller to create a PDF/X-1a:2001 file (or various other
types). You can select that from the opening Distiller screen under the
default Settings selection.

Pieter Vandenberg