Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
InfoLisa

Default Numbers in one column , need them cut into the next

Hi,

I have a worksheet that contains three seperate columns. In one column
I have 7 numbers and letters combined. (i.e 2B14122) I want to move the
first four digits into another column, and the first two digits into
another column. How do I do that without copying, pasting and
deleting? I'm sure there is a formula but I can't think of it.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
BekkiM

Assuming Column A has your numbers:

A B C
2B14122 =LEFT(A1,4) =LEFT(A1,2)

"InfoLisa" wrote:

Hi,

I have a worksheet that contains three seperate columns. In one column
I have 7 numbers and letters combined. (i.e 2B14122) I want to move the
first four digits into another column, and the first two digits into
another column. How do I do that without copying, pasting and
deleting? I'm sure there is a formula but I can't think of it.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

Assuming your data is in column A..........

In B1 put =LEFT(A1,2)
This will get the first two characters
In C1 put =LEFT(A1,4)
This will get the first four characters
In D1 put =RIGHT(A1,3)
This will get the Right 3 characters.......

Copy all three formulas down as far as you have data in column A

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"InfoLisa" wrote:

Hi,

I have a worksheet that contains three seperate columns. In one column
I have 7 numbers and letters combined. (i.e 2B14122) I want to move the
first four digits into another column, and the first two digits into
another column. How do I do that without copying, pasting and
deleting? I'm sure there is a formula but I can't think of it.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Elkar

=LEFT(A1,4)

This will take the first 4 characters starting from the left of the contents
of cell A1.

You can also use RIGHT and MID functions to get characters starting from the
Right or Middle of a cell.

HTH,
Elkar

"InfoLisa" wrote:

Hi,

I have a worksheet that contains three seperate columns. In one column
I have 7 numbers and letters combined. (i.e 2B14122) I want to move the
first four digits into another column, and the first two digits into
another column. How do I do that without copying, pasting and
deleting? I'm sure there is a formula but I can't think of it.

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Info