Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tallyman00

Default Format won't stick

A co-woorker sent me a spreadsheet saying that she couldn't total a
column of numbers. It is formatted for "Accounting, 2 decimal places",
but it doesn't show zeros to the right of the decimal place. It treats
the column like it was text when I try to sum it. I have tried
everything like inserting a new column and doing a special paste to
just put in the values and formating it and I get the same result. The
sheet isn't protected or anything like that. Any ideas?

--
tallyman00
tallyman00's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29971

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
andyiain

Hi,

Your description sounds similar to a problem I sometimes have (except I
have numbers that don't act as a time value). The work around I used
was to run through the Text to Columns wizard. This seemed to force
Excel to recognise the format.

Don't know if this will help.

I would like to find out why Excel acts like this and if there's any
proper way of preventing it.

regards,
Andy.

--
andyiain
andyiain's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=8335

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Revenger

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 08:06:05 -0600, tallyman00 wrote:

A co-woorker sent me a spreadsheet saying that she couldn't total a
column of numbers. It is formatted for "Accounting, 2 decimal places",
but it doesn't show zeros to the right of the decimal place. It treats
the column like it was text when I try to sum it. I have tried
everything like inserting a new column and doing a special paste to
just put in the values and formating it and I get the same result. The
sheet isn't protected or anything like that. Any ideas?

Well, I had a similar problem when I imported data from a database ...
The solution was multiplying every cell with 1 ...
Or formatting the cells to numbers and just doubleclicking followed by
<enter on every cell. But that can be really annoying if you have a lot of
data ... :-)
Or, there was something with PasteSpecial, and then you enter "1" in one
column or row and then select your cells and pastespecial to that column
with the value of 1 and select multiply ...