Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Angela

Default Renamed invalid sheet name

Hello,
I am exporting a report from crystal reports into Excel 2003 and I keep
getting an error message that Excel has "Renamed invalid sheet name". It is
pulling up a Microsoft office Excel File Repair Log.

How can I make it stop doing this? is there a setting in excel that needs to
be changed?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

How about changing CR so that it stops creating a worksheet with an invalid
name?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Angela

Hi Dave,
I tried that, and it didn't work, but thank you so much for the suggestion.

I think Excel is trying to force in a name with a ~ in front of it when it
exports even though I changed the name. In any other version of excel it
exports just fine, and leaves the sheet name as "Sheet". But in the Excel
2003 professional it trys to rename the sheet to the name of the report and I
think this is what is causing the error. I know the ~ is not a valid
character for a sheet, so I think Excel is trying to change that ~. I would
prefer if it did not add a sheet name at all and just left it as "Sheet1"
when being exported.

Any other suggestions?

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

crystal reports

Angela wrote:

CR?

Angela wrote:

Hello,
I am exporting a report from crystal reports into Excel 2003 and I keep
getting an error message that Excel has "Renamed invalid sheet name". It is
pulling up a Microsoft office Excel File Repair Log.

How can I make it stop doing this? is there a setting in excel that needs to
be changed?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I use xl2003 and I could name a sheet with the ~ character.

But if xl thinks that the sheet name is invalid, I don't think you can get into
xl's internals to change its behavior. (That's why I suggested changing the
Crystal Reports output--but I don't know if that's possible, either.)

Angela wrote:

Hi Dave,
I tried that, and it didn't work, but thank you so much for the suggestion.

I think Excel is trying to force in a name with a ~ in front of it when it
exports even though I changed the name. In any other version of excel it
exports just fine, and leaves the sheet name as "Sheet". But in the Excel
2003 professional it trys to rename the sheet to the name of the report and I
think this is what is causing the error. I know the ~ is not a valid
character for a sheet, so I think Excel is trying to change that ~. I would
prefer if it did not add a sheet name at all and just left it as "Sheet1"
when being exported.

Any other suggestions?

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

crystal reports

Angela wrote:

CR?

Angela wrote:

Hello,
I am exporting a report from crystal reports into Excel 2003 and I keep
getting an error message that Excel has "Renamed invalid sheet name". It is
pulling up a Microsoft office Excel File Repair Log.

How can I make it stop doing this? is there a setting in excel that needs to
be changed?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
zod

Angela wrote:
Hello,
I am exporting a report from crystal reports into Excel 2003 and I keep
getting an error message that Excel has "Renamed invalid sheet name". It is
pulling up a Microsoft office Excel File Repair Log.

How can I make it stop doing this? is there a setting in excel that needs to
be changed?

If you do a search in CR Knowledgebase you will find source of bogus
Renaming is due to having nothing in CR Report Summary Info Title.

Fix by entering anything in Report Title and condition will cease for
all new spreadsheets.

Don't know how to fix already created spreadsheets - sorry.

Lee

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I too am having this same problem. Although, with my case, the title
is already placed in the CR Summary Info Title space. Are there any
other possibilities? Also, I am running Windows 2000, Excel 2002, CR
8.5.

Travis