Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
judithbear

Default read only file-need to write

I've rec'd a read only excel file on my pc which I need to copy to a CD-RW
and then take to a meeting with my laptop and add info to it and save. Then
someone else will take the CD-RW w/saved info and manipulate it on their own
PC. I do not have email/online on my laptop. The file says read only. Copied
it to my CD as write. But still when I get it to the CD-RW it ends up read
only. I can add material but it won't change it or allow it to be saved
w/another name. What am I doing wrong? How can I accomplish what I need to
do. I need to do it tonight at 7pm CA/USA time.
--
judith
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave O

Just a guess: I *suspect* the file attributes of any file written to a
CD ROM drive is changed to "Read only" because it prevents programs
from attempting to write changes to a static file.

When the file is transferred to a non-CD ROM drive you can change the
read-only status in Windows Explorer, for instance, by right-clicking
on the file name, selecting Properties, and de-selecting the Read Only
checkbox.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
judithbear

Hmmmm, that makes sense, but how can I then copy the template file to a
CD-RW, make changes to the CD-RW file, save it, and then transfer the saved
info back to a PC file? I can, as you suggested, change the "read only" by
unchecking it on my PC and then writing it to a CD. But then when I make
changes on the CD it cannot be changed. It tells me to rename it or move it
elsewhere but using any of those options results in a "file cannot be saved
because it is read-only" msg. Any other suggestions?
--
judith

"Dave O" wrote:

Just a guess: I *suspect* the file attributes of any file written to a
CD ROM drive is changed to "Read only" because it prevents programs
from attempting to write changes to a static file.

When the file is transferred to a non-CD ROM drive you can change the
read-only status in Windows Explorer, for instance, by right-clicking
on the file name, selecting Properties, and de-selecting the Read Only
checkbox.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Desert Piranha

Hi judithbear,
You don't want to be opening the file from the CD-RW. You need to
1- Put the file on your laptop 'Hard Drive', then make your changes.
2- Then when finished burn to the CD-RW.
3- Then give the Cd to someone else.

Summary is don't work on files directly from CD.
Copy them to your hard drive to work on them.
Dave

"Dave O" wrote:

Just a guess: I *suspect* the file attributes of any file written to

CD ROM drive is changed to "Read only" because it prevents programs
from attempting to write changes to a static file.

When the file is transferred to a non-CD ROM drive you can change

the
read-only status in Windows Explorer, for instance, by

right-clicking
on the file name, selecting Properties, and de-selecting the Read

Only
checkbox.

--
Desert Piranha

Desert Piranha's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28934
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=501764

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
judithbear

Thank you for the reply. I found that I could copy it to my desktop on the
laptop, make the changes, and then saved it to a memory stick someone had at
the meeting last night. It worked. Also, here's some advice I found at a
Lehigh University community board:

"...Sometimes users report that they are unable to open an Excel file. The
error message reports that the "file is read only or the server is not
responding.

Here is a solution that works about 70% of the time:

1. Close completely out of Excel (exit out of the program).
2. Open Windows Explorer (in the Start menu).
4. Use Windows Explorer to copy the file to the desktop.
5. Start Excel from the START menu
6. Open the document from within Excel (File, open...) ...."

-
judith