Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Desert Piranha

Default read only file-need to write

Hi judithbear,
You don't want to be opening the file from the CD-RW. You need to
1- Put the file on your laptop 'Hard Drive', then make your changes.
2- Then when finished burn to the CD-RW.
3- Then give the Cd to someone else.

Summary is don't work on files directly from CD.
Copy them to your hard drive to work on them.
Dave
judithbear Wrote:
Hmmmm, that makes sense, but how can I then copy the template file to a
CD-RW, make changes to the CD-RW file, save it, and then transfer the
saved
info back to a PC file? I can, as you suggested, change the "read only"
by
unchecking it on my PC and then writing it to a CD. But then when I
make
changes on the CD it cannot be changed. It tells me to rename it or
move it
elsewhere but using any of those options results in a "file cannot be
saved
because it is read-only" msg. Any other suggestions?
--
judith

"Dave O" wrote:

Just a guess: I *suspect* the file attributes of any file written to

CD ROM drive is changed to "Read only" because it prevents programs
from attempting to write changes to a static file.

When the file is transferred to a non-CD ROM drive you can change

the
read-only status in Windows Explorer, for instance, by

right-clicking
on the file name, selecting Properties, and de-selecting the Read

Only
checkbox.

--
Desert Piranha