Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Matt_hull1979

Default How do i enter minus hours in a spreadsheet?

I have seen a previous post from earlier this month on a similar subject
which didn't really answer my question.

I have a spreadsheet which i am using as a new overtime form for my office.
Staff will enter their hours worked over their daily contracted hours, and it
adds it up. however some staff take the extra time off in lieu, for example
on the following day and i would like for them to be able to enter 3:00 on
one day and -1:00 the next (for example) to give the total 2:00.

the custom format i currently have for the date (which i borrowed from
another spreadsheet we use) is [h]:mm_:_0_0

Is it possible to create an entry for -hh:mm without having to add an extra
box in which negative hours are entered to be deducted at the end?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

pull-down:

Tools Options Calculation and check 1904 date system.

Using a time format 0.041666667 will appear as 1:00 and -0.0416666667 will
appear as -1:00
--
Gary''s Student

"Matt_hull1979" wrote:

I have seen a previous post from earlier this month on a similar subject
which didn't really answer my question.

I have a spreadsheet which i am using as a new overtime form for my office.
Staff will enter their hours worked over their daily contracted hours, and it
adds it up. however some staff take the extra time off in lieu, for example
on the following day and i would like for them to be able to enter 3:00 on
one day and -1:00 the next (for example) to give the total 2:00.

the custom format i currently have for the date (which i borrowed from
another spreadsheet we use) is [h]:mm_:_0_0

Is it possible to create an entry for -hh:mm without having to add an extra
box in which negative hours are entered to be deducted at the end?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Chip Pearson

It should be noted that if you change to the 1904 date system,
all existing dates will be 4 years off.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Gary''s Student" wrote
in message

"Matt_hull1979" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Matt_hull1979

Thanks Chip and Gary's Student, this works! however...

The problem is i wanted this as easy for the staff to use as possible, I
don't think I will get a possitive response from staff if i ask them to use
the 1904 date system.

If there is any easier ways to set up the cell so that i type -1:00, and
-1:00 appears in the box i would appreciate it. if not, then back to the
drawing board!

(tell me if I'm being too fussy!)