Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Christopher Rath

Default Fix Excel Protection so that it works as published

When setting Excel Protection, the options include allowing sorting, allowing
deleting of rows, etc. In my experience with Excel 2003, these options do
NOT work as advertised: even though I have ticked those options Excel still
forces me to remove protection before sorting protected cells or deleting
rows in a protected sheet.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Christopher Rath

According to the MS Excel help text entitled "Overview of security and
protection in Excel" if on the Protect panel I check the Sort checkbox then
users are supposed to be able to sort data on the worksheet. If I can only
sort unlocked cells, then the feature is out of step with the documentation;
it's also next to useless, since it means that on a form where rows contain
both locked and unlocked cells I am not able to allow users to sort anything
(since that would involve sorting locked cells).

I stand by my original statement: MS needs to fix this feature so that it
works like the documentation says it works.

Thanks for trying to help.

Regards,
Christopher

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

It works, you have to unlock the cells in question before you protect it
under formatcellsprotection,
select the ranges you want to sort and uncheck locked, then protect the
sheet with these options

Peo Sjoblom

Portland, Oregon

"Christopher Rath" <Christopher wrote in
message ...
When setting Excel Protection, the options include allowing sorting,
allowing
deleting of rows, etc. In my experience with Excel 2003, these options do
NOT work as advertised: even though I have ticked those options Excel
still
forces me to remove protection before sorting protected cells or deleting
rows in a protected sheet.

----------------
this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

Of fix the documentation so there are no misunderstandings, on the other
hand if I look in help I see this

"Sort When cleared, prevents users from using any of the Sort commands on
the Data menu, or the Sort buttons on the Standard toolbar. Users can't sort
ranges containing locked cells on a protected worksheet, regardless of this
setting."

Which to me is rather obvious

Peo Sjoblom

Portland, Oregon

"Christopher Rath" wrote in
message ...

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

It works, you have to unlock the cells in question before you protect it
under formatcellsprotection,
select the ranges you want to sort and uncheck locked, then protect the
sheet with these options

Peo Sjoblom

Portland, Oregon

"Christopher Rath" <Christopher wrote in
message ...
When setting Excel Protection, the options include allowing sorting,
allowing
deleting of rows, etc. In my experience with Excel 2003, these options
do
NOT work as advertised: even though I have ticked those options Excel
still
forces me to remove protection before sorting protected cells or
deleting
rows in a protected sheet.

----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
"I
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Christopher Rath

Forgive my oversight; I missed that statement when I reviewed the help
earlier.

MS should add that same caveat to the "Delete rows" help text too.

I had been attempting to protect the formalae in some cells from accidental
deletion. Now I shall have to tell users to simply avoid making mistakes
(and deleting those cell contents by accident); since protecting them removes
other necessary functions.

Christopher

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

I agree that help could be much better in fact I think help has degraded
with each version of Office/Excel and you are right that help does not
mention this when it comes to rows/columns.

Peo Sjoblom

Portland, Oregon

"Christopher Rath" wrote in
message ...

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

[...]

This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to
the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click
the
"I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,
follow
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader
and
then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
broro183

Hi Christopher

I'm trying to overcome exactly the same problem (sorting a protected
sheet) at the moment & am just checking threads to see if there is a
method of adding default arguments to the following "SortSheet" code
which I have attached to a commanbutton. Please note that I have set
the sheet up with "userinterface only" protection using:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Dim Password As String
Password = "secret"
Sheets("sheet1").Protect Password:=Password, _
UserInterFaceOnly:=True
End Sub

Add a named range "sort_area", give the below a go & see if it helps -
I think it is much better than asking users not to make errors, after
all we are all human!

Sub SortSheet()
'to allow sheet sorting on the "user interface only" protected sheet &
requires use of a _
named range "Sort_Area"
Range("'" & ActiveWorkbook.Name & "'!Sort_Area").Select
Application.Dialogs(xlDialogSortSpecial).Show
'optional MsgBox "Page is sorted as requested."
End Sub

hth,
Rob Brockett
NZ
Always learning & the best way to learn is to experience...

--
broro183
broro183's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30068

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have the same problem. Many of my users are inexperienced with excel.
Having them unprotect, then sort, then re-protect is asking for trouble. I
also have protected columns and unprotected columns. I would like to be able
to sort across all the columns and be able to clear the unprotected contents
of a block containintgboth protected and unprotected data.