Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
suzijames

Default typing fractions

I want to create math review for my students using the 'old fashioned'
fraction format which I will describe as an 'over under' fraction. For 5/8,
the 5 as the numerator (top) followed by a hortizontal line with the 8
appearing beneath the line.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Brad

Type
0 7/8
But the information is stored as decimal

"suzijames" wrote:

I want to create math review for my students using the 'old fashioned'
fraction format which I will describe as an 'over under' fraction. For 5/8,
the 5 as the numerator (top) followed by a hortizontal line with the 8
appearing beneath the line.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pinmaster

I suggest getting rid of the gridlines ...Tools/Options/View uncheck
Gridlines, that way your fractions will look much better. Then you can type 5
in cell and 8 in the cell below and put a horizontal line in between by using
one of the preset borders. Then adjust the column width until you get the
desired look.

HTH
JG

"suzijames" wrote:

I want to create math review for my students using the 'old fashioned'
fraction format which I will describe as an 'over under' fraction. For 5/8,
the 5 as the numerator (top) followed by a hortizontal line with the 8
appearing beneath the line.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

suzi

MS Reference Specialty Font has some fractions like 5/8 with the 5 over the 8

Go to StartRun "charmap.exe" to see what's available

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP