Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
NC_Brownoat

Default Password prompt while attempting to save from website

My company has recently migrated to Office2003 and, since that point, I
have been receiving a basic authentication prompt each time I attempt
to save a spreadsheet (opened as Read Only) from a secured website. It
does not seem to accept my credentials but, if I cancel, I am able to
save with no problems. This has never been an issue before the upgrade
and is affecting those of using Windows 2000 as well as Windows XP.

I was able to find what seems to be a simular issue posted about this
time last year on various forums but have yet to find a posted or
suggested resolution.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Of course, this is causing no
major issues but is getting a little annoying. The previously
mentioned post is included below.

Thanks in advance,

NC_B

In Excel 2000, when you open an Excel worksheet from an https secure
site via
the web browser, it does not require you to re-enter your Network
Credentials
(Basic Auth) if you have already entered it previously.

In Excel 2002/XP, this was recognized as a problem. In reference to KB
Article 321778, you have to add the DWord Value in
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Excel\Options
AlwaysSaveToCurrentPath =
1. This suppressed the NT Challenge Response dialog box when you have
already
entered your UID/PWD when loggin on to the https site.

In Excel 2003 Pro, this problem seems to have resurfaced. Despite
having the
same DWord Value in
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel\Options. ..
Excel 2003 would still require you to enter your Network Credentials
(Basic
Auth) despite having entered them already when you accessed the https
site
vie MSIE.

Is there an unpublished workaround here? IN reference to KB Article
837254,
"You receive a prompt for your user credentials when you open an Excel
2003
file attachment in Outlook Web Access"...

The workaround seems to be a workaround that does not fix the problem.

Please help...

P.S.

Also tried to do the recommended solution in KB Artcile 870853 but the
symptom still persists.

--
NC_Brownoat
NC_Brownoat's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30402