Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Heavy Excel user

Default Saving Excel files takes a huge amount of time

Hi,

Excel takes 5-10 minutes whenever I try to save the file after making the
smallest of changes, even if I add a value to just one cell. Excel is using
98 or 99%
of the CPU during these 5-10 minutes.

If I do a save as the file gets saved instantaneously. The save time for
subsequent saves also decreased. Then it slowly started creeping up and now I
am back at a situation where it takes 5-10 minutes

The file size is 3MB with 2 tabs, lots of formulaes, also formulaes cross
referencing the tabs. This is the raw data file, which I am having problem
saving.

There are 2 other excel files which access this data file, one provides
charts and the other provide summarized reports. Thus both these files link
to the data file, but are not linked by any other file.

It almost seems like the save time increases with the age of the excel file
or as a result of the accumulated changes. When you do a save as both of
these are reset !!!! Please help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
tony h

does the file size reduce when you do a "save as"?

--
tony h
tony h's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=21074

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

There are many reasons for slow saving. One thing to try is to avoid saving
on a network drive and to disconect all network drives before attempting to
save.
--
Gary''s Student

"Heavy Excel user" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Heavy Excel user

I am not saving to network drives. If it were an issue with network files I
would have faced a problem while saving any excel file not just this one.
Just to verify I deleted the one network drive I had as well as deleted all
the shortcuts to network folders under nethood. Not much difference in
performance