Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
John Krick

Default Excel should format time down to the hundredth/sec.

I would like to be able to format the cells within Excel so that if I typed
in my athlete's time from a race as 153268 or 3245, it would show up in the
cell as 15:32.68 or :32.45 respectively. I would also like to be able to
then add or subtract time in that same format. Right now I can only format
the cell to display those times as 15:32.6 or 00:00.0 (nothing at all). I do
race time analysis with excel but I have to convert the time into all seconds
if I want to add/subtract/divide or whatever. Can you add a format that
would recognize time not in the sense of how a clock on the wall is read but
how a stop watch is recognized?

I'm currently using the MIcrosoft Office Excel 2003 version.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Peo Sjoblom

How would excel know how to do that compared if you meant to type in the
number 153268 since formatting never changes the underlying value
just the display, for people that find it too hard to type in colons there
are VBA solutions like in here

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm

Peo Sjoblom

"John Krick" <John wrote in message
[...]

this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

Colons help to define the fields and avoid confusion. You can set up custom
formatting that will allow you to work in thousandths of a sec:

hh:mm:ss.000 with more than necessary precision:
formatted general
01:00:00.000 0.041666666667
00:01:00.000 0.000694444444
00:00:01.000 0.000011574074