Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jack

Default Custom format for cells

I have the text A012 This is a Test, can i use a custom format to display in
a cell just A012, the format of the text will always be letter followed by 3
numbers but i don't want any more letters.

I am sure this is simple but my heads not working today
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Govier

Hi Jack

FormatCellsNumberCustom and A000 in the white pane, or A 000 if you
would prefer to have a space between the letter and numbers.
Enter 12 in cell it will display as A012

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Jack" wrote in message
I have the text A012 This is a Test, can i use a custom format to
display in
a cell just A012, the format of the text will always be letter
followed by 3
numbers but i don't want any more letters.

I am sure this is simple but my heads not working today

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

Assuming that you do not want to remove the trailing text, only not display it:

1. select the cell
2. in the formula bar, select the part of the text you want to hide
3. pull-down Format Cells... Font and make the color of the font the
same as the color of the background

The only thing visible in the cell will be the text you have not
re-formatted in this way.

If you want to get rid of the trailing text, use something like:
=LEFT(A1,4)
--
Gary''s Student

"Jack" wrote:

I have the text A012 This is a Test, can i use a custom format to display in
a cell just A012, the format of the text will always be letter followed by 3
numbers but i don't want any more letters.

I am sure this is simple but my heads not working today

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Govier

Forget that.
Totally misread your post.