Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Brent

Default Check box & conditional formatting

I have inserted check boxes from the Forms Toolbar into my spreadsheet. (i.e
- cell 'J4').
When these are selected, I would like for another cell (i.e. - cell 'I4') to
be colored yellow, and the font be bold and red. I want the text in this
cell to be the text which I have input - not "True" or "False".
Can anyone help?

thanks,
Brent
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Assign a linked cell to that checkbox.

Rightclick on the checkbox
choose Format Control|control tab

Then you can use that linked cell in your Format|Conditional Formatting formula
for I4.

A tip...

If you assign the linked cell to the cell that is below the checkbox (J4 in your
sample), you can give that cell a custom format of:
;;;
(3 semicolons)
so the cell looks empty (You'll see true/false in the formula bar, though.)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Brent

Unless I missed something...
I followed your instructions, byut get the same result i was accomplishing
before. Once I check the "check box" in J4, I receive a "TRUE" in I4. When
I uncheck the box in J4, I receive "FALSE".
Instead, I am seeking to have the text that I input (random comments)
highlighted and bold, as well as have the cell be flooded with a color of my
choice. In other words, I want the check box to act as a trigger that
initiates the text and cell formatting I just outlined.

Sorry if this is confusing...
Thanks for your attention.

Brent wrote:

I have inserted check boxes from the Forms Toolbar into my spreadsheet. (i.e
- cell 'J4').
When these are selected, I would like for another cell (i.e. - cell 'I4') to
be colored yellow, and the font be bold and red. I want the text in this
cell to be the text which I have input - not "True" or "False".
Can anyone help?

thanks,
Brent

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Put the checkbox in J4. Make the linked cell J4, too.

Now select I4 (where those comments would go) and
format|conditional formatting
formula is:
=J4=TRUE
And format it the way you want.