Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Big Rick

Default Date Formatting

Hello Fellow Excellers.
When I enter a date in a cell and give it a long format. e.g. dddd dd mmmm
yyyy, so that it would read Monday 1 January 2006, then the wrap text
facility does not work.
Is there any way to put in an 'alt-enter' type character so that I could
have the Monday on the first line and the rest underneath.
--
Your help is and always has been very much appreciated.
Thanking you in anticipation.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

Not exactly what you're after, but perhaps worth a try
(Hang around for views from others ..)

Assuming dates entered in A1 down

Put in B1:
=TEXT(A1,"dddd")&CHAR(10)&TEXT(A1,"dd mmmm yyyy")
Format B1 to wrap text & copy B1 down
Col B will return the desired display
--
Rgds
Max
"Big Rick" wrote in message
Hello Fellow Excellers.
When I enter a date in a cell and give it a long format. e.g. dddd dd mmmm
yyyy, so that it would read Monday 1 January 2006, then the wrap text
facility does not work.
Is there any way to put in an 'alt-enter' type character so that I could
have the Monday on the first line and the rest underneath.
--
Your help is and always has been very much appreciated.
Thanking you in anticipation.
--- --- ---
Big Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Big Rick

Many thanks.
This is a lot further than I would of got.
I would still like a solution if possible for the way described, as I would
like to use it in other items, but your formula does work on this occasion.

I am forever grateful and in your debt.
--
Big Rick

"Big Rick" wrote in message
Hello Fellow Excellers.
When I enter a date in a cell and give it a long format. e.g. dddd dd mmmm
yyyy, so that it would read Monday 1 January 2006, then the wrap text
facility does not work.
Is there any way to put in an 'alt-enter' type character so that I could
have the Monday on the first line and the rest underneath.
--
Your help is and always has been very much appreciated.
Thanking you in anticipation.
--- --- ---
Big Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

You're welcome !

As mentioned in the response,
do hang around awhile for views from others.

There just might be a way to do it directly (perhaps via vba ?)
that others may step-in to offer you.
--
Rgds
Max
"Big Rick" wrote in message
Many thanks.
This is a lot further than I would of got.
I would still like a solution if possible for the way described, as I

would
like to use it in other items, but your formula does work on this

occasion.

I am forever grateful and in your debt.
--
Big Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

One way

Const WS_RANGE As String = "H1:H10"

On Error GoTo ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = False
With Target
If IsDate(.Value) Then
If .NumberFormat = "dddd dd mmmm yyyy" Then
.Value = Format(.Value, "dddd " & vbLf & "dd mmmm yyyy")
End With
End If

ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = True

HTH

Bob Phillips

"Big Rick" wrote in message
Many thanks.
This is a lot further than I would of got.
I would still like a solution if possible for the way described, as I

would
like to use it in other items, but your formula does work on this

occasion.

I am forever grateful and in your debt.
--
Big Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Big Rick

Dear Bob
I'm afraid that I have never got to grips with any form of VBA before. I
have followed the on screen insructions and pasted the code into the sheet1
tab, but where do I go from there.
What I have done is simply pasted the code in, closed the screen, and
entered a date in H1 but the wrap is not working. I have still formatted the
cell as wrap text but this did not help. I know that I am going wrong
somewhere, but I know that you are the one to guide me through.

Best Regards
Big Rick

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

One way

Const WS_RANGE As String = "H1:H10"

On Error GoTo ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = False
With Target
If IsDate(.Value) Then
If .NumberFormat = "dddd dd mmmm yyyy" Then
.Value = Format(.Value, "dddd " & vbLf & "dd mmmm yyyy")
End With
End If

ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = True

HTH

Bob Phillips

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

You can use format|cells|number tab

Give it a custom format of:
dddd(alt-0010)dd mmmm yyyy

Hit and hold the alt key while typing 0010 on the numeric keypad--not above the
QWERTY keys.

And turn on wrap text
format|cells|alignment tab

But be aware that you'll have to adjust the rowheight yourself (autofitting
won't work).

And if you make the cell too narrow for the whole string (not after wrapping
text), you'll see ###'s.

====
Another format to consider:
dddd* dd mmmm yyyy
This works pretty neat when you widen the column.

Big Rick wrote:

Hello Fellow Excellers.
When I enter a date in a cell and give it a long format. e.g. dddd dd mmmm
yyyy, so that it would read Monday 1 January 2006, then the wrap text
facility does not work.
Is there any way to put in an 'alt-enter' type character so that I could
have the Monday on the first line and the rest underneath.
--
Your help is and always has been very much appreciated.
Thanking you in anticipation.
--- --- ---
Big Rick

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Govier

Hi Rick

Copy the following, then right click on Worksheet Tab, Select View code
and Paste into the white pane.

With Target
If .Count 1 Then Exit Sub
If Target.Row <2 Then Exit Sub
If Target.Column 1 Then Exit Sub

If Not Intersect(Me.Range("A:A"), .Cells) Is Nothing Then
Application.EnableEvents = False
With Me.Cells(.Row, "A")
.Value = Format(.Value, "dddd" & vbLf & "d mmmm yyyy")
End With
Application.EnableEvents = True
End If
End With
End Sub

This assumes that you want all entries in Column A to be adjusted.
If you want a different column, change "A"'s to the column Letter
required, change Target.Column number to < and the column number for
the entry.
Target.row is set to ignore row 1, assuming this is your header, change
as appropriate.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Big Rick" wrote in message
Many thanks.
This is a lot further than I would of got.
I would still like a solution if possible for the way described, as I

would
like to use it in other items, but your formula does work on this

occasion.

I am forever grateful and in your debt.
--
Big Rick

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

If you copied the code to the sheet module as described, you should have got
the two lines as required. It worked fine in my tests.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

One way

Const WS_RANGE As String = "H1:H10"

On Error GoTo ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = False
With Target
If IsDate(.Value) Then
If .NumberFormat = "dddd dd mmmm yyyy" Then
.Value = Format(.Value, "dddd " & vbLf & "dd mmmm

yyyy")
End With
End If

ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = True

HTH

Bob Phillips

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Govier

Hey, that's quite sneaky Dave.
I would never have thought about entering control characters into the
number format.
Very effective.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

Big Rick wrote:

Hello Fellow Excellers.
When I enter a date in a cell and give it a long format. e.g. dddd dd
mmmm
yyyy, so that it would read Monday 1 January 2006, then the wrap text
facility does not work.
Is there any way to put in an 'alt-enter' type character so that I
could
have the Monday on the first line and the rest underneath.
--
Your help is and always has been very much appreciated.
Thanking you in anticipation.
--- --- ---
Big Rick

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Big Rick

Dear Bob, Max, Dave & Roger
I am forever grateful for all your time, effort and patience for someone who
has to have something drummed in before it sticks in my mind.
I did get Rogers code to work, I couldn't with Bobs', although I sure that
it is because a complete amateur is trying.
If anyone of you are ever in England, then the drinks are on me !

Regards
--
Big Rick

Big Rick wrote:

Hello Fellow Excellers.
When I enter a date in a cell and give it a long format. e.g. dddd dd mmmm
yyyy, so that it would read Monday 1 January 2006, then the wrap text
facility does not work.
Is there any way to put in an 'alt-enter' type character so that I could
have the Monday on the first line and the rest underneath.
--
Your help is and always has been very much appreciated.
Thanking you in anticipation.
--- --- ---
Big Rick

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Govier

Hi Big Rick

If anyone of you are ever in England, then the drinks are on me !

Be careful there,
Bob is in Dorset, I am in Wales (but often across the border)
Don't know about Bob, but I can drink quite a lot of beer!! <vbg

--
Regards

Roger Govier

Big Rick wrote:

Hello Fellow Excellers.
When I enter a date in a cell and give it a long format. e.g. dddd
dd mmmm
yyyy, so that it would read Monday 1 January 2006, then the wrap
text
facility does not work.
Is there any way to put in an 'alt-enter' type character so that I
could
have the Monday on the first line and the rest underneath.
--
Your help is and always has been very much appreciated.
Thanking you in anticipation.
--- --- ---
Big Rick

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Big Rick

I work at a swimming pool in Blackpool.
There are 300,000 gallons of 'drink' to go at !!
--
Big Rick

Hi Big Rick

Big Rick wrote:

Hello Fellow Excellers.
When I enter a date in a cell and give it a long format. e.g. dddd
dd mmmm
yyyy, so that it would read Monday 1 January 2006, then the wrap
text
facility does not work.
Is there any way to put in an 'alt-enter' type character so that I
could
have the Monday on the first line and the rest underneath.
--
Your help is and always has been very much appreciated.
Thanking you in anticipation.
--- --- ---
Big Rick

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

One of the nicer things about using format is that the value stays a date, too.
So it makes doing date arithmetic a little easier if you need it later.

Big Rick wrote:

Hello Fellow Excellers.
When I enter a date in a cell and give it a long format. e.g. dddd dd
mmmm
yyyy, so that it would read Monday 1 January 2006, then the wrap text
facility does not work.
Is there any way to put in an 'alt-enter' type character so that I
could
have the Monday on the first line and the rest underneath.
--
Your help is and always has been very much appreciated.
Thanking you in anticipation.
--- --- ---
Big Rick

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Govier

Hi Big Rick

I won't beat a trail up the M6 too quickly then<g
--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Big Rick" wrote in message
I work at a swimming pool in Blackpool.
There are 300,000 gallons of 'drink' to go at !!
--
Big Rick

Hi Big Rick

Big Rick wrote:

Hello Fellow Excellers.
When I enter a date in a cell and give it a long format. e.g.
dddd
dd mmmm
yyyy, so that it would read Monday 1 January 2006, then the wrap
text
facility does not work.
Is there any way to put in an 'alt-enter' type character so that
could
have the Monday on the first line and the rest underneath.
--
Your help is and always has been very much appreciated.
Thanking you in anticipation.
--- --- ---
Big Rick

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

Roger,

You know that all Brits can drink! The world is astounded at our capacity.

Bob

Hi Big Rick

Big Rick wrote:

Hello Fellow Excellers.
When I enter a date in a cell and give it a long format. e.g. dddd
dd mmmm
yyyy, so that it would read Monday 1 January 2006, then the wrap
text
facility does not work.
Is there any way to put in an 'alt-enter' type character so that I
could
have the Monday on the first line and the rest underneath.
--
Your help is and always has been very much appreciated.
Thanking you in anticipation.
--- --- ---
Big Rick

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Govier

Hi Bob

Then before too long, I must travel down to your neck of the woods and
enjoy a pint of Badger with you.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

Big Rick wrote:

Hello Fellow Excellers.
When I enter a date in a cell and give it a long format. e.g.
dddd
dd mmmm
yyyy, so that it would read Monday 1 January 2006, then the wrap
text
facility does not work.
Is there any way to put in an 'alt-enter' type character so that
could
have the Monday on the first line and the rest underneath.
--
Your help is and always has been very much appreciated.
Thanking you in anticipation.
--- --- ---
Big Rick

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

It is good that it keeps the original value, but the fact that you have to
allow cell width to cater for the full text string nullifies the usefulness
of this technique IMO.

Bob

Big Rick wrote:

Hello Fellow Excellers.
When I enter a date in a cell and give it a long format. e.g. dddd dd
mmmm
yyyy, so that it would read Monday 1 January 2006, then the wrap text
facility does not work.
Is there any way to put in an 'alt-enter' type character so that I
could
have the Monday on the first line and the rest underneath.
--
Your help is and always has been very much appreciated.
Thanking you in anticipation.
--- --- ---
Big Rick

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

I'm not sure I'd say nullify. I (still) think that it depends on the
circumstance. If this were a header for a column full of wide descriptions,
then I wouldn't care at all.

Big Rick wrote:

Hello Fellow Excellers.
When I enter a date in a cell and give it a long format. e.g. dddd dd
mmmm
yyyy, so that it would read Monday 1 January 2006, then the wrap text
facility does not work.
Is there any way to put in an 'alt-enter' type character so that I
could
have the Monday on the first line and the rest underneath.
--
Your help is and always has been very much appreciated.
Thanking you in anticipation.
--- --- ---
Big Rick

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
via135

fantastic indeed!!!

-via135

"Big Rick" wrote in message
I work at a swimming pool in Blackpool.
There are 300,000 gallons of 'drink' to go at !!
--
Big Rick

Hi Big Rick

Big Rick wrote:

[...]

via135's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26725
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=499157

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

.. It worked fine in my tests.
And it worked fine for me over here, too <g

Big Rick:

With Bob's sub implemented properly,
Select and *pre-format* the designated input range: H1:H10
as Custom: dddd dd mmmm yyyy

Then test by inputting some dates within H1:H10
When you press ENTER to commit each input,
Bob's code will return exactly what you're after

(My guess is you either didn't pre-format H1:H10 beforehand, or you might
have tried out the inputs elsewhere .. in A1, A2?? [I dunno]. But don't ask
me why Bob prefers "H1:H10" instead of "A1:A10" as the assumed source input
range <g)
--
Rgds
Max
Singapore, GMT+8
xdemechanik
http://savefile.com/projects/236895

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

A little "OT", sorry ..

Am trying out Dave's suggestion, but think I've forgotten
how to activate/deactivate the numeric keypad on a laptop

Thanks ..
--
Rgds
Max
Singapore, GMT+8
xdemechanik
http://savefile.com/projects/236895

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

.. I did get Rogers code to work, I couldn't with Bobs',

Big Rick (as posted in the other branch),

With Bob's sub implemented properly,

Select and *pre-format* the designated input range: H1:H10
as Custom: dddd dd mmmm yyyy

Then test by inputting some dates within H1:H10

When you press ENTER to commit each input,
Bob's code will return exactly what you're after

(My guess is you either didn't pre-format H1:H10 beforehand, or you might
have tried out the inputs elsewhere .. in A1, A2?? [I dunno]. But don't ask
me why Bob prefers "H1:H10" instead of "A1:A10" as the assumed source input
range <g)
--
Rgds
Max
xl 97
---
Singapore, GMT+8
xdemechanik
http://savefile.com/projects/236895

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Govier

Hi Max

You should have a button marked Fn and the word Numlock in coloured type
at the base of a key somewhere.
Press both, and it should activate M as 0, JKL as 123, UIO as 456 with
the number keys 789 being 789.

--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Max" wrote in message
A little "OT", sorry ..

Am trying out Dave's suggestion, but think I've forgotten
how to activate/deactivate the numeric keypad on a laptop

Thanks ..
--
Rgds
Max
xl 97
---
Singapore, GMT+8
xdemechanik
http://savefile.com/projects/236895

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ragdyer

My Dell has small colored numbers on the letter keys, matching Roger's
scenario, where all that's necessary is to hold the Fn key (right of the
left Ctrl key) and the <Alt key, and then use those colored numbers.

RD

"Max" wrote in message
A little "OT", sorry ..

Am trying out Dave's suggestion, but think I've forgotten
how to activate/deactivate the numeric keypad on a laptop

Thanks ..
--
Rgds
Max
xl 97
---
Singapore, GMT+8
xdemechanik
http://savefile.com/projects/236895

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

Thanks, Roger & RD ! With your help, think I got it <g.

For my m/c (IBM), I had to press Shift + ScrLk to toggle
(the tiny "Numlk" appears above "ScrLk" in white)

And the numeric* keypad numbers appear in white too (no color),
albeit in "subscript" form.

*as explained in Roger's response:
.. M as 0, JKL as 123, UIO as 456 with
the number keys 789 being 789.

Cheers
--
Rgds
Max
Singapore, GMT+8
xdemechanik
http://savefile.com/projects/236895

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

"Max" wrote in message

(My guess is you either didn't pre-format H1:H10 beforehand, or you might
have tried out the inputs elsewhere .. in A1, A2?? [I dunno]. But don't

ask
me why Bob prefers "H1:H10" instead of "A1:A10" as the assumed source

input
range <g)

A1:A10 is boring <vbg

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

Hi Roger,

I look forward to that.

Tanglefoot, Wadworths 6X, topped off with a decent pint of Director's if we
can find it. We also have a local Ringwood micro-brewery which does a nice
ale.

Big Rick wrote:

Hello Fellow Excellers.
When I enter a date in a cell and give it a long format. e.g.
dddd
dd mmmm
yyyy, so that it would read Monday 1 January 2006, then the wrap
text
facility does not work.
Is there any way to put in an 'alt-enter' type character so that
could
have the Monday on the first line and the rest underneath.
--
Your help is and always has been very much appreciated.
Thanking you in anticipation.
--- --- ---
Big Rick

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Govier

Hmmm....

I can see the absolute merit of Dave's keeping the date in a format for
use in further calculations (how are we going to do all those SP
formulae otherwise Bob<vbg).
I can also see the OP's desire for having a nice formatting.

Me, Id' just have a good old compromise and do both. Have a hidden
column B and write the date value to that cell from my code,
unformatted, and then use that column if I needed to do any
calculations.

--

Big Rick wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

I agree with the merit of saving the original data, but my point was that if
it doesn't allow the column width to be reduced, what is the point of having
it wrap to multiple lines, why not just use a simple form of 'dddd dd mmmm
yyyy' which still preserves the data. That is why I never use that
technique, I see absolutely no merit in it. A typical example of a good idea
badly implemented in Excel IMO (... don't get me started on charts and pivot
tables <vbg).

Regards

Big Rick wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

No other reason than "just because".

Actually, I like this format much better:
dddd* mm/dd/yyyy

But that's just my opinion.

Big Rick wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message

Actually, I like this format much better:
dddd* mm/dd/yyyy

So do I.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Big Rick

I did finally get Bob' code to work by pre formatting the cells. As you can
see from the previous post, I was trying to input the date into cell H1.
Thanks for the suggestions as to why it didnt work. Many thanks to Bob also.

Many Regards
--
Big Rick

"Max" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

Glad to hear you got it to work!
And thanks for posting back

As you can see from the previous post,
I was trying to input the date into cell H1 ...

Yes, you did. Overlooked this earlier, apologies
--
Max
Singapore