Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mauricio

Default after a power failure I can't open the spreadsheet

Excel 97, I get a message that the file is read-only or "encoded"
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

mauricio

Excel stores in Windows\Temp(win98) folder a copy(s) of any file that is open.

Sometimes this *.tmp file is not deleted from the Temp folder when you close
out Excel(maybe a crash of Excel?) or the file, so Excel thinks it is still
open and locked for editing.

You can try a re-boot and see if that clears it up. If not, after a re-boot,
clear out your Windows\Temp folder.

If using WinXP your Temp folder would be under user.......

Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp

If on a network, re-booting the server may be the only solution.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP