Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
AWA

Default Please help with unusual request?

I just need to seperate data in an exisiting column microsoft excel. For
example, I have too much data in a particular column, I do not need all of
that data - just (the first) part of the data. If only I could draw a
vertical line and "poof" a new column would be there with only the data I
need...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Biff

How about some examples.

Check out DataText to Columns.

Biff

"AWA" wrote in message
I just need to seperate data in an exisiting column microsoft excel. For
example, I have too much data in a particular column, I do not need all of
that data - just (the first) part of the data. If only I could draw a
vertical line and "poof" a new column would be there with only the data I
need...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Norman Jones

Hi AWA,

Select the data
Data | Text to Columns | Fixed width | Next |
Click where you want the column break | Next
For unwanted data, check the 'Do not import column' option
Poof!

poof" a new column would be there with only the data I need...

---
Regards,
Norman

"AWA" wrote in message
I just need to seperate data in an exisiting column microsoft excel. For
example, I have too much data in a particular column, I do not need all of
that data - just (the first) part of the data. If only I could draw a
vertical line and "poof" a new column would be there with only the data I
need...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pinmaster

Assuming your data is seperated by spaces, you can try this in a blank
column:

=IF(ISERROR(LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)),IF(A1="","",A1),LEFT(A1,FIND("
",A1)-1))
copied down...once you have done that just copy and paste over your
existing data (Paste as Values).

NOTE! if your data is seperated by something other than "spaces" say
"comas" then change FIND(" " to FIND("," in the formula.

HTH
JG

--
pinmaster