Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Luc

Default Calculate without opening spreadsheet

Is it possible for cells to calculate remotely? hhm, let me explain.

I have a file that has timesheet codes (around 1000). this file gets
updated (more codes added) about once a week or so.

I have a template that i use on a daily basis in which i add asign codes to
tasks i perform during the day. i'd like to be able to know when the
timesheet codes file has been updated so i can go and copy all the data and
put it in my template. (the timesheet codes is on server which i don't have
acccess to when out of the office)

I can set up formulas that do an IF function and if it changes then = 1 and
then sum all 1000 cells. if the sum is 1 i know a cell has been
modified...but this involves many formulas and makes the file very large.

I would rather have a simple formula in my template that tells me if the
timesheet codes file has been modified and i can then go and copy it accross.

make anmy sense at all? thx for any help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
R.VENKATARAMAN

can codes(unique numbers) be put in an array called bin array
then use tools-dataanalysis-histogram
you get the frequency of each code.

or use mode function . but here if two codes have same frequency the mode
will give the first code.

"Luc" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Luc

all codes are unique. no repetition.

what i need to know is when a code is added. would an array tell me how many
codes there are?

oh, and what is an array?