Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Nikki

Default If then Message Box

I want a message box to popup if a cell(which already contains a function) is
over a certain value. Data validation won't work because the user isn't
entering data into the cell. What would be the best way to do this?
Basically- If A1134.16 then MsgBox "You are over your limit"
Thanks for the help!!
--
Thanks,
Nikki

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JR

In cell B1, type "You are over your limit", then change the font color to
white (so it can't be seen). In the same cell, use conditional formatting
("Format", "Conditional Formatting") to change the font color to black when
A1 is 134.16.

"Nikki" wrote:

I want a message box to popup if a cell(which already contains a function) is
over a certain value. Data validation won't work because the user isn't
entering data into the cell. What would be the best way to do this?
Basically- If A1134.16 then MsgBox "You are over your limit"
Thanks for the help!!
--
Thanks,
Nikki

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Nikki

I have thought of that as well- actually I did an if statement, but I thought
a box would be better. I am assuming from the responses this is either not a
good idea or can't be done.
--
Thanks,
Nikki

"Nikki" wrote:

I want a message box to popup if a cell(which already contains a function) is
over a certain value. Data validation won't work because the user isn't
entering data into the cell. What would be the best way to do this?
Basically- If A1134.16 then MsgBox "You are over your limit"
Thanks for the help!!
--
Thanks,
Nikki

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

You c an do it with event code, but the message will pop-up every time it is
still wrong and the sheet recalculates. And if as you ay the user is slow,
what will force them to correct it?

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Nikki" wrote:

I want a message box to popup if a cell(which already contains a

function) is
over a certain value. Data validation won't work because the user

isn't
entering data into the cell. What would be the best way to do this?
Basically- If A1134.16 then MsgBox "You are over your limit"
Thanks for the help!!
--
Thanks,
Nikki

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sloth

Couldn't you create some code that toggled a comment box when the sheet
recaclulates? That way when the sheet recalculates it won't show a msg box,
only show the comment. And if the comment is already showing it won't do
anything. I don't know how to do it, but I assume it would be easy for
someone familiar with the language.

If I were making the file, I would make the formula output an error msg
instead of the result. For instance...
=IF(A1+B112,"Result is too high, please adjust values.",A1+B1)

"Nikki" wrote:

I want a message box to popup if a cell(which already contains a

function) is
over a certain value. Data validation won't work because the user

isn't
entering data into the cell. What would be the best way to do this?
Basically- If A1134.16 then MsgBox "You are over your limit"
Thanks for the help!!
--
Thanks,
Nikki

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

"Sloth" wrote in message
Couldn't you create some code that toggled a comment box when the sheet
recaclulates? That way when the sheet recalculates it won't show a msg

box,
only show the comment. And if the comment is already showing it won't do
anything. I don't know how to do it, but I assume it would be easy for
someone familiar with the language.

Same problem. If the users are a boit slow, why would they look at the
comments?

If I were making the file, I would make the formula output an error msg
instead of the result. For instance...
=IF(A1+B112,"Result is too high, please adjust values.",A1+B1)

I would use conditional formatting.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Nikki

I went ahead with the conditional formatting and an If statement. I merged a
bunch of cells together and made a big red box that said my message. Your
point about them closing the message box and forgetting it or maybe not
reading it was good. This way the big message won't go away until the error
is fixed. Thanks for the help- like I said I didn't think about a msgbox
being less annoying.
--
Thanks,
Nikki