Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default adjusting cell size in spreadsheets

Hi - I have excel for my apple laptop, and I'd like to find out how I
can adjust the size of the cells. I'm cutting and pasting text from a
document onto a spreadsheet, and every so often, a bit of text that I
paste over from a document makes the entire cell get very large. I'd
imagine I have to highlight the entire cell and select something to fix
it...but what? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jay

Hi - I have excel for my apple laptop, and I'd like to find out how I
can adjust the size of the cells. I'm cutting and pasting text from a
document onto a spreadsheet, and every so often, a bit of text that I
paste over from a document makes the entire cell get very large. I'd
imagine I have to highlight the entire cell and select something to fix
it...but what? Thanks!

I've had a similar experience. Rather than paste into a spreadsheet cell, I
select the cell and paste into the formula bar. This way, I don't get the
over-sized cells.

(I use Excel 97.)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

greg

Cell sizes are governed by the row height and column width.

Individual cells cannot be sized independently.

Sounds like you rows and/or columns are Formatted to "Autofit" and "Wrap Text"

You can re-format if you wish at any time.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On 20 Dec 2005 13:55:23 -0800, wrote:

Hi - I have excel for my apple laptop, and I'd like to find out how I
can adjust the size of the cells. I'm cutting and pasting text from a
document onto a spreadsheet, and every so often, a bit of text that I
paste over from a document makes the entire cell get very large. I'd
imagine I have to highlight the entire cell and select something to fix
it...but what? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

How do I reformat? Also, can't locate the options for 'autofit' and
'wrap text,' where are they listed?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Adam Kroger

Autofit and wrap and in the 'format cell' dialog box, from the r-click menu.
Not sure what you mean by reformat.

wrote in message
oups.com...
How do I reformat? Also, can't locate the options for 'autofit' and
'wrap text,' where are they listed?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

greg

To find the Autofit commands..........

Select any cell and FormatRowAutofit.

Also FormatColumnAutofit.

You can re-size a row or column by hovering cursor over the row or column
header until you see a double-headed cross/arrow.

Select and drag to the size you wish.

To re-size all rows in a selection of rows.....FormatRowHeight. Stick in a
number like 12

Gord Dibben Excel MVP