Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
BrianDavid

Default Long Save Times with File-Save

Hello!

I consider myself an 'advanced' user, but I'm having a problem I can't
seem to figure out on my own.

I have a fairly large workbook (around 12 meg) with a lot of charts,
calculations, etc... it runs a macro every hour which gathers
information from a web page, updates a couple of sheets and then the
charts.

Within this macro, I do a File - Save As to a network volume for
archiving purposes and this takes very little time; 1 to 2 seconds on
average. However, at the end of the macro I do a File - Save, which
takes 3-5 minutes!

Does anyone know what would cause such long File - Save times? I can
File - Save As from the menu and it's very quick, and File - Save is
very long from the menu as well.

Thanks in advance!

--
BrianDavid
BrianDavid's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29772

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR

Sounds like Excel might be doing a Recalc before Save, or maybe at the end
you have an AutoFilter still open....just a couple of things to
check..........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"BrianDavid" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Niek Otten

Turning off Journaling in Outlook may help. Rename the present journal file
to test if it helps

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"BrianDavid" wrote:

[...]

View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
BrianDavid

Thank you both for your suggestions.

I have changed my macro to check for active calculations, and wait
until these are complete before saving, but it doesn't seem to make a
difference. The save does wait approx. 1 second before beginning, but
still takes around 4 minutes.

I'm not really sure how to check for an "AutoFilter" but I will
investigate...

I do not run Outlook.

My biggest quandry is why a Save As would take less time than a Save!
I'm tempted to do a Save As with a different name, close the original
file and open the newly saved version, which deletes the original
file... but then the file name is always changing...

--
BrianDavid
BrianDavid's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29772
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=494848

Excel XP: File name in Title Bar not changed after Save As... Dominic Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 9 August 1st 05 12:58 PM
Date & Time mully New Users to Excel 4 May 23rd 05 11:56 AM
How can I save a file as a comma-delimited text file in Excel? LAM Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 May 3rd 05 10:24 PM
Can't save new excel file twm7766 Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 February 1st 05 11:56 PM
Weekly Transaction Processing Ralph Howarth Excel Worksheet Functions 4 January 19th 05 05:37 AM